tobacco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tobacco

Does anyone in forum land have any experience brewing with tobacco? I'm curious about the effects of dry-hopping with tobacco, whether the TTB forbids the use of tobacco in beer production (I can't find the approved substances list anywhere), etc. I'd like to make sure I wouldn't make people sick and that I wouldn't get busted before even embarking on test batches.

Thanks, y'all!

Boe Barnett
    Denali Brewing Company
    Talkeetna, Alaska
    Boe Barnett
    Denali Brewing Company
    Talkeetna, Alaska

Hi Boe,
    I'd be concerned about nicotine infusing my beer (I'm sure the TTB and FDA are as well). What kind of flavor are you going after?
    Prost!
    dave

p.s how's the snow in Talkeetna? I listen to wholewheatradio.org everyday!
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

I'd be concerned about the nicotine as well.
      Not sure what kind of extraction you'd get, but I remember from some physio classes that nicotine can be quite poisoness if injested in too high a dose.

That being said, I do love a cigar/tobacco quality in some old ales and other dark and strongs.

Comment

Ok- ive never said anything about brewing with hot peppers- and I held my tounge recently when someone asked about Brewing with garlic, But Tabbaco? Thats just Freaking Disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive just thown-up in my mouth a little bit...............
        Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
        tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
        "Your results may vary"

Comment

thats POISENOUS

nicotene is poisenous if ingested in that way..!!!!!! Yuck

Comment

I dont have have any info on process, but here is a liquor brewed with perique tobacco...

and an italian brew "aromatized" with tobacco...

Beejay
            Pipeworks Brewing Company

Comment

I've had a tobacco beer in the Netherlands quite a few years ago. NOT disgusting. Although not a session beer, it was quite good. Go for it!
              Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I've got to say, I'm fascinated by the idea of tobacco.
                I've picked up tobacco notes from plenty of funky Belgians, and am wondering what it would be like to bump it up a notch. Not really a "tobacco beer", but as an aroma note.

Anybody done a pilot batch with tobacco?

Bob
                Saint Somewhere

Comment

Given the recent thread about caffeine in beer, I would be concerned about trying this one without some kind of legal opinion or ruling.
                  -Lyle C. Brown
                  Brewer
                  Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

Mmmmm.

Someone spilled their beer in the ashtray.

Anyone got a straw?

Pax.

Liam
                    Liam McKenna
                    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

food for thought

0.5-1.0 mg/kg nicotine can be a lethal dosage for adult humans. It is impossible to overdose via smoking tobacoo. (thanks wikipedia) Ingesting it is another mater.

Not to mention I hightly doubt you would get TTB formula approval for this product.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeV
                        0.5-1.0 mg/kg nicotine can be a lethal dosage for adult humans. It is impossible to overdose via smoking tobacoo. (thanks wikipedia) Ingesting it is another mater.

Not to mention I hightly doubt you would get TTB formula approval for this product.
                        I haven't heard of too many people dropping dead from chewing tobacco.
                        They are ingesting more than you could ever get from say...a couple of whole leaves in 7bbl of beer.
                        Also... Wikipedia?
                        Really?

Comment

I’ve herd of other smoking material (a close cousin of the hop) used in beer; although I don’t think I’d want to eat a tobacco brownie.
                          Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working. -Harold Rudolph

Comment

I asked about this about a year ago. I had a crazy idea at the time but soon found out that it's illegal.....at least here in Virginia. Tobacco and Beer together is an FDA/TTB nightmare. You could always try though! If you do, I wanna know about it!

Comment

Working...
                            X