Bavarian Brewery Tech Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bavarian Brewery Tech Users

I'm looking for opinions on older BBT systems. The good and bad. Anything to look for on a used system like things that tend to fail? Any opinions on craftsmanship. There's not much on this board about them, but they are still around, supply parts, and build new systems. I would expect to hear more.

Thanks in advance!

Really? Nobody?

Comment

limited experience

I worked in a brewery that had 8 bright tanks from 15 bbl to 60 bbl made by BBT. They were flawless. Well designed and a pleasure to work with.

Comment

Bavarian Brewing Technology system

I worked on a 5 BBL system and it seemed fine. I remember the diverter panel used butterfly valves and you had to be careful about opening the correct valve.

Joe

Comment

We replaced our previous equipment with a Bavarian 15 bbl system about a year ago. It was manufactured in 2001. Overall its a very good system; high quality construction, good welding and makes great beer.

Things that I don't like:

Three-legged fermenters/servers. I know they're more economical to produce, but a little trickier to level/keep stable.

Side-mounted wort-output/clean-out on the kettle (convex bottom). I prefer kettles with the wort out on outer edge of the dish bottom with the clean out port in the center of bottom.

Flowable surface area of the lauter screens seems to be low. The plates are machined and very high quality, slits are properly sized, just not enough of them in imo, resulting in slower run-off times. However, that may just reflect a different brewing philosophy than mine.

Overall tanks (brewhouse & fermentation) are somewhat undersized. It is a 15 bbl system, however, we are lucky to net 14 bbls and we don't filter. Maybe that is also indicative of a system designed around lager production, we tend to lose volume via blow-off from any ale over 14 bbls. A little extra capacity in the kettle, mash tun, & HLT would be nice.

Depending on year of manufacture, you may no longer be able to source temperature controllers that fit into the machined slots in the control panel. Not too big of an issue, I just had to make some adapter plates to accommodate some newer controllers.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. -Brian

Comment

A reply from the other side of the pond - I've no personal experience, but over here these guys

started brewing on 10UKbbl Bavarian BrewTech plant in 2002, then expanded adding an additional 30UKBbl Bavarian plant & last year opened a brand new 60UKBbl Bavarian plant, capable of 2 brews per day.

They describe themselves as the UK's fastest growing brewery & I dare say they're right, the beers are really good too, and I'm guessing they're pleased with the plant, partly as they've stuck with BBT for 3 expansions & partly because Lewis Harsanyi is listed on their website as part of the staff

Probrewer regular Dick Murton was going on a tour of their new place a few weeks ago - Dick, if you're about - what did you think?

cheers
            MikeMcG

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far, exactly what I was looking for. Pretty consistent as far as craftsmanship.

Brian/Beersmith, Cheers and thanks I may PM you when I have my equipment up an running after February.

MikeMcG, I'll check those guys out, thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X