Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High water PH

Hi,

I have just started on a new brewery and when I checked the PH of the tap water (which is used for brewing) it was around 9.4. It seems very high to me and I double calibrated the PH meter without effect.

The beer produced from the water is pretty good and does not seem to suffer.

But still it seems extreme to me. Anybody out there with tap water in the same range?

-Christian

When I lived in Ann Arbor, Michigan, the tap water was around 9.4. It was beautiful water to brew with because of its low mineral concentrations. Water pH doesn't tell you very much unless it's an indicator of pollution. Mash pH, which depends far more on grainbill and water minerals than water pH, should be around 5.5-5.8 at room temperature.

Joe

Comment

You may want to think about treating your sparge water at that pH. As mentioned, it really depends on the mineral profile.

Otherwise, if it makes good beer....

Pax.

Liam
      Liam McKenna
      www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Originally posted by liammckenna
        You may want to think about treating your sparge water at that pH. As mentioned, it really depends on the mineral profile.

Otherwise, if it makes good beer....

Pax.

Liam
        We are treating the sparge water to PH <6 everytime anyway.

The theory around here is that the PH is unusually high because it is summer vacation now and there is not much water being used around here, which means the water is standing still in the pipes picking up minerals. I don't know if it is the case, but it kinda makes sense to me.

-Christian

Comment

The pH only measures the concentration of H+ ions, not the forces keeping it at that level. If there is little mineral content in the water to chemically buffer the pH, then it may take insignificant influence to change it to a more desirable pH. Malt alone can do that, but only in rare low mineral waters. This could explain some things...or not.

Comment

Working...
          X