Belgian Ale Yeast Strain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belgian Ale Yeast Strain

I was hoping to get suggestions for a belgian yeast strain to run some test batches with.
    I wanted to try my pale ale and amber ale recipe and use a belgian strain instead, it would be great if it works with my wit also. I plain on making a couple of Saisons also but plan on using the DuPont yeast for that.

I know some hops conflict with Belgian yeasts so any help there would be much appreciated.

I love belgian beers but in my market they would have to be "soft sold" and can not be this over the top spice/phenol bomb.

I hope thru lower ferment temp. I could control a lot of the "Belgian-ness" but do not want to affect performance.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance and Cheers!
    Ben Davis
    Intuition Ale Works
    Jacksonville Florida
    www.intuitionaleworks.com

WLP 510 is what you seek.
    I promise.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. Is it available year round for commercial breweries?
      Last edited by IAW; 01-07-2010, 03:32 PM.
      Ben Davis
      Intuition Ale Works
      Jacksonville Florida
      www.intuitionaleworks.com

Comment

Hi,

Can you give me more information about the hops/yeast conflict?

Thank you,
        Nugget

Comment

IMHO Belgian most belgian strains dont go well with agressive American Style IPA hops, Columbus, cascade, centennial etc. This is individual and applies more to higher hopping rates. I like noble varieties in my Belgians. But what do I know.
          Big Willey
          "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

You can also try the Belgian Ardenne Yeast from WYeast or the version from Whitelabs
            I think it goes very well with US Hops.
            If you ferment at low temp, it gonne work very well.

Kees

Brewery Emelisse

Comment

Originally posted by bubone
              You can also try the Belgian Ardenne Yeast from WYeast or the version from Whitelabs
              I think it goes very well with US Hops.
              If you ferment at low temp, it gonne work very well.

Kees

Brewery Emelisse
              I have to echo bubone on this suggestion. I have been brewing Belgian styled beers for the last year and a half and used this yeast 3522 exclusively. This strain will give a nice spicy flavor to a belgian beer and I have used it with Saaz, Amarillo, Mt Hood, Willamette, and Cascade hops in combination in different beers and this yeast goes well with all of them. I have received great feedback from beer drinkers and each time they have been really popular. I ferment mine low on the suggested range but a low mash always gets me a nice low FG as well with these beers. Give it a try I know you won't be disappointed.

Mike
              Mike Sulyi
              BillyGoat Brewing Company
              mike@billygoatbrewingco.com
              www.billygoatbrewingco.com

Comment

I'm a bigger and bigger fan of WLP 530/Wyeast 3787 (Westmalle origin) every time I use it. It can crank out a great wit, as well as trappist styles, and could even make a good spiced saison if used correctly. I've heard of breweries fermenting it cooler, like Westmalle topping out at 68, or warmer, like Captain Lawrence topping out in the mid-80's.

Comment

The above mentioned will work well, IMHO. I would recommend against WLP515, the De Konninck yeast. It is a great yeast, and produces a well attenuated beer with flavor profile similar to DK, but DK does not have much of that "Belgian" flavor character, and the yeast does not produce it.
                  -Lyle C. Brown
                  Brewer
                  Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

Working...
                  X