Proper Fining Mixing Temps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Fining Mixing Temps?

would like to try using gelatin and silica in our brite tanks..

was wondering what temps are recommended for mixing both those products?

Gelatin

When i used gelatin i always mixed it up using Hot Liquor (170°F) and it seemed to work well. I had the best results when i mixed it in line during the transfer via a tee from a corney keg. Clean up anything it touches or spills on right away as it can be like trying to clean up super glue if you let it dry. If you don't have a stand pipe in your BBT's i would suggest installing one.
    Jeff Byrne

Comment

Gelatin and Silica

I agree with Jephro on the mixing with hot liquor. We built an agitator that shakes the gelatin/water slurry for 15 minutes, then we inject it into the FV pre-filtration. I have not had experience using either post-filtration. We need the gelatin to drop out our stubborn Kolsch yeast

Comment

I mixed it in a 3 gallon corny with hot liquor and injected thru the zwigel immediately prior to transfer to BBT. The only exception to this process was dry-hopped beers which were fined and allowed to drop bright in the fermenter (we dry hopped in the server). We did not filter our beers and gelatin always worked very well for us.

Comment

i figured gelatin would mix hot, but what about silica. thats where i am getting two different opinions....

Comment

Everything I've read about silica gel either suggests it's not to be mixed hot or that ambient temp water is required.

Comment

Silica hot

Not only is it OK to mix silica hot...it's about the only way to ensure sanitation of it.....
              Larry Horwitz

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Horwitz
                Not only is it OK to mix silica hot...it's about the only way to ensure sanitation of it.....
                Definitely agree on the latter, but are you sure of the former? Have you done this before, Larry, and does it still work well?

Comment

yup

Mustaffa (really his name) from ISP (the producer for poly clar products) reccomended it to us....
                  Larry Horwitz

Comment

Well tickle me purple. I might have to give that one a go next week....

Comment

Working...
                    X