self distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• self distribution

Well after hiring and firing too many sales people I've finally realized I am the only one for the job. I do have some part time help with out of area delivaries. How does everyone else do the logistics of it. Do you sell from the truck?, take orders and then fill them later in the week? any other models?

Thanks
    K

self distributing

We have been a self distributing brewery for almost twelve years now. Our small hometown (2500 people + summer and winter tourism) has twelve bars, one grocery store, and two c-stores in a two mile stretch. Our driver gets orders in the morning and delivers in the afternoon. In the summer he does this twice a week.

There is a city one hour away with a population of 125,000. We deliver there twice a week. our sales rep calls all of the accounts the day before we deliver and our driver throws a few extra cases on the truck just in case. The big box stores that order by the pallet fax or email in POs so that we know what to deliver.

Self distributing requires a sales rep and a driver. we also employ a mechanic part time to maintain vehicles. You also need to set aside time for all the bookkeeping or hire a bookkeeper to keep up on the receivables and deposits. We are also considering a merchandiser/stocker because our off-premises business is growing so much.

A lot of work, but well worth the effort. In the areas we self distribute, we sell way more beer than we do in markets where we work with traditional wholesalers. Our service and line-cleaning is superior to what the wholesalers offer.

Good luck,

Sam

Comment

Working...
    X