Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sales Techniques and How to get in the Door

Hello to all,

I am currently in Texas and am looking to start up a micro brewery. We are planning to self distribute.

I was wondering what techniques you all used to generate your sales and how you guys got in the door with some of your accounts.

I worked at a brewery here in Texas for a while and it seemed like all the sales proceeded in this manner:
    1) identifying establishments
    2) setting up appointments to meet with the bar owners or managers to sample and pitch your beer to them.
    3) get the account
    4) distribute your beer to the vendor.

How have you all gone about the first 3 steps in your experiences?
    What are some obstacles you have encountered?
    What is the best way to deliver your sales pitch the potential client? (ie- discounts on the kegs, focus on quality, promotions, etc)
    How do you maintain those accounts to ensure continued sales?

Thanks guys!

Nobody?

I'm also dealing with the same issues.

I made my first sales calls yesterday. I ended up finding establishments through the internet, esp. www.yelp.com. I then drove to each and took a growler of the beer I am selling with a typed up description sheet with price and price/serving break-down and the Distributers phone number.

The problem I'm running into is talking to somebody who is a decision maker. I might have got to talk to 2 owners/managers out of the 20 establishments I visited. It was in a town about an hour away, so I cant really just jump into the car when I find out they are there.

Anybody here that can give us some secrets to success?

el

Comment

been self dist for 3 years now. it takes MANY trips to accounts to find out who makes decisions. it will drive you nuts but get use to it.

Comment

If you're using a distro, try to get a ride-along with some salespeople. Try to get a target list of places you want to visit to them so they can set up appointments for you. As much as we sometimes rail against distros they do want to sell beer and make money. The more you help them, the more they'll help you.

Comment

account maintenance

In reference to maintaining accounts, firstly, ensure line cleaning happens regularly (here we do it for the clients and also give them consideration for the wasted beer in the process) and secondly, one of the most interesting beer sales people I ever met was a guy named Neil. He made a habit of dropping by every account every week, even if only for a coffee. He always had a few tales to tell and everyone was always happy to see him.

He also maintained a database of birthdays of important clients and store/bar managers. He faithfully dropped them each a note wishing them a happy birthday, often with a six pack/hat/t-shirt/gift cert etc.

He had some pretty amazing numbers.

In reference to market penetration, every market is different in terms of presentation/receptivity/density of competition/appreciation of craft beer. The only consistent observation I can offer is that persistence and a positive attitude are key, as is, of course, a top notch product.

Best of luck,

Pax.

Liam
          Liam McKenna
          www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

A great way to find prospects is to go to brewery or distributor websites and find out what places they sell to. For example Boulevard lists every on and off premise account that they sell to on their website. Other breweries do the same thing. This provides a great prospect list.

Be relentless. Don't be deterred if you don't succeed at first. Just this week an on premise account that I have been trying to sell to for over a year finally agreed to give me a couple of tap lines, and will be hosting a beer dinner featuring my brands. Don't give up.

Once you get the account offer the best service. Stop by weekly and talk with the staff. The staff is going to sell your beer directly. A good relationship is a must.

Good Luck

Comment

Working...
            X