Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chilli Beer in serving lines

Dear ALL!!!

We are planning to produce a very small amount of chilli beer just for fun. We only plan on making abount 5 bbl.

My question is this: What and how will this effect my serving lines, present and future? Will the chilli flavor absorb into the line such as say, a fruit beer might? Will the flavor migrate to the other beer lines? Is serving a "flavored beer" using current lines a bad idea.
    Who else makes a chilli beer and how does it effect the flavor of the next beer that travels in this line?

Thank you for your help,

Michael W. Snyder

chilli after effects

I recently did a chilli beer on my home brew set up and founsd the smell and taste remained on my gear through the next batch. I would suggest a very thourough cleaning of any gear you use.

At the brewery where I work I have had to deal with strong flavours such as echinacia; I had to clean the kegs several times to remove the smell.

christopher

Comment

One of the main questions is what type of Chilli peppers you will use? I use jalopeno peppers in bottle conditioned beers without any problems. The same peppers used in a 5 gal draft system seem to cause no problem either.
      Fred

Comment

Chilli Beer

Michael:
        I used Chillies in a 5 gal carboy and dispensed that way.
        I used ~ 1 green chilli for every 12 oz of _PILSNER_ style of beer
        with low BU's. We served the beer at home on a sunny saturday afternoon and everyone liket it.
        I cleaned the carboy and the lines with a 2% caustic solution, followed by a "HOT" acidic cleaning. The times for the cleaning was ~ 30 minutes each. There was no residual smell or taste left in the carboy or lines, as I served a Pale Ale the following week from that carboy and the same lines.

Fred

Comment

Working...
        X