Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycol reservoir in a walk in?

Hey all,
    I have a cobbled together Glycol reservoir/heat exchange/compressor deal. I would like to place it inside my walk-in cooler and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience doing this. My only concern is with condensation.
    Thanks.
    Thanks,
    Rob

If the compressor is bundled up with the reservoir would not recommend placing it in the walk in cooler. Which heat exchanger were you referring to, the evaporator or the condenser? If it's the evaporator, no problem, but if it's the condenser, that would be the same problem as putting your compressor in there, only worse. Basically you don't want to put things in your cold room that are designed to generate heat. What you'd gain in efficiency of your glycol refrigeration cycle would not equal what you'd lose in efficiency of your cold room refrigeration cycle.

If you're thinking of only putting the reservoir, evaporator, and pumps in the cold room, there should be no problem. I wouldn't worry about condensation either, as most of the moisture in your cold room is removed and drained when the air is cooled, so it tends to be the room with the lowest relative humidity in the brewery.

Comment

Very workable.
      Insulate it below and around. Be aware that glycol seems to infiltrate Urethane board. Plan on needing to clean mold off the tank as it will likely be the most moist thing in the cellar. It should seem that you will save some electricity over having the glycol tank in a warmer place.

Comment

Some things to consider include:

Losing valuable product cold storage space- we are upgrading a brewery from this set up to a packaged outdoor system, they're excited to gain this cooler real estate for additional keg storage.

If the compressor unit is included, with condenser, (as previously mentioned) will likely overload the walkin and shouldn't be done. Typically the condensing unit is located on top of the cooler with refrigerant lines ran in between.

Locate so your piping connections are not in traffic lanes in the cooler.

Good luck!

Jim

Comment

Working...
        X