Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mashing raw wheat

Hi,

I am brewing a wit soon using raw wheat. I do not have any numbers on the wheat but I am going for the low-protein type. To start with I am going for around 33% and will increase it gradually.

However, the local grain we're using has such high levels of beta glucans that we need to employ a 20 min protein rest and add enzymes to aid in lautering even when using 100% malt beers.

Would it be pointless to try to run off ffrom a wort consisting of this malt with the addition of huskless unmalted wheat. Would I be better off importing some European grains for this beer.

-Christian

A couple of things:

1/ a beta glucan rest (40-50oC for 15 min) will increase extraction efficiency BUT will INCREASE the viscosity of your wort. Beta glucanase will break down beta glucans which allows greater hydration of the starch and better extract efficiency. However, many studies have noted that this process will increase the viscosity of the resultant wort by solubilizing medium chain beta glucans. Perhaps not what you're seeking. Have you ever tried shortening your protein rest?

2/ rice hulls - you'll be needing these. And also some enzymes to help with wort viscosity and run-off.

I think you'd be brave to try it. I'll bet it'll have some great mouthfeel and will, no doubt, be an excellent source of soluble dietary fibre.

Pax.

Liam
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Raw Wheat

In the past I've used pre-gelatinized wheat flakes, and had little problem with them. I think that we used it at 22ish% with rice hulls, and the enzymes present in the 2-row and malted wheat were sufficient for converting the raw wheat and some oats that we threw in there.

I have found that increasing the water/malt ratio and stirring the hell out of the mash seems to counteract some of the potential problems by decreasing the overall viscosity of the wort and preventing enzyme blinding (I'm not sure that's the correct term).

If nothing else, get a good book just in case the lauter sucks.

Bill

Comment

Working...
      X