Nitrogenated Beer Needs More CO2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrogenated Beer Needs More CO2

put a nitrogenated beer on tap and am finding that its mouthfeel is a little flat. got plenty of nitro cascading and great head formation but a little weak on the tongue.

would there be any problem with blowing down the tank (pushing tank with blended gas) then re-carbonating a little then hook back to blended.

just wondering how the nitro behaves? will it come out of solution while venting? i just need to get a little more CO2 in there i think.

Nitrogen and carbon dioxide work separately. Dalton's law. Apparently you didn't have enough CO2 in the blend to provide carbonation. If you have a carbonating stone, then add more CO2 through it while slowly venting and maintain a stable pressure.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

As above, providing you keep a stable pressure on the tank whilst you're carbonating you should be able to increase the CO2 without losing too much N2.

Ideally you need to top-pressure with a gas mix that is as close as possible to your desired levels in your beer to maintain equilibrium.

Do remember, also, that a nitrogenated beer will always have less 'bite' on the palate than one that uses only CO2.

Comment

Another quick point, I think the restrictor plate knocks out most of the CO2 and Nitrogen as well, giving you the floor show.

Cheers,
        jeff
        Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
        Chairman of the Beer
        Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
        Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
        W: www.lovibonds.com
        F: LovibondsBrewery
        T: @Lovibonds

Comment

Working...
        X