plastic kegs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plastic kegs?

has anyone seen the new palstic kegs out there? Anyone using them?

been using them for about 6 months. the logs are really good, the 1/2 we've had some issues with, the pigment for the body color we used was causing some issues. We're getting a new batch in with a different color body. It also depends on your distributor, most of my distros are ok with them, a couple are like gorillas.

Comment

Yeah I've got some and I know NOLA Brewing company in New O'rleans uses them too. so far so good.
      www.beerontheriver.com

Comment

Originally posted by jazzmac
        been using them for about 6 months. the logs are really good, the 1/2 we've had some issues with, the pigment for the body color we used was causing some issues. We're getting a new batch in with a different color body. It also depends on your distributor, most of my distros are ok with them, a couple are like gorillas.
        what were your color/pigment issues?

Comment

We had a purple body (don't ask) and the pigment apparently didn't allow the plastic to cure as well as it should. It wasn't all the kegs, just the first run we had. They changed the pigment and the problem seems to have been resolved. We've had no negative consumer response either, which I was a little worried about.

Comment

What's the price difference in plastic vs SS? 1/6th and 1/2.

Comment

1/6 are $65 in your colors and 1/2 are $87.

Comment

If you're self-distributing or using the kegs in-house, then plastic kegs are fine and dandy. We've been using them for over 18 months now and they've been good. I've sent some to a distributor and a few have come back trashed - broken chimes mostly, but 2 kegs were cracked wide open.
                Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
                Strangeways Brewing
                2277-A Dabney Road
                Richmond, VA 23230
                804-303-4336
                www.strangewaysbrewing.com

Comment

We have been using them in our 3 BBL Brewpub (no outside distribution) since early October. Probably have about 100 of them at this point. We have had 2 leak at the valve, more a valve manufacturing issue than anything else (one of the two had a sliver of metal wedged between the rubber and the metal on the seal. When the sliver was removed, it leaked CO2. second one is leaking in the same place.). The manufacturer replaced the first one without question. The second one just happened.
                  They are lighter, and easy to work with, we have a few 1/2 BBLS and mostly 1/6. For internal use, they are great, but I would worry about the rough treatment they would get in a distribution system.
                  -Lyle C. Brown
                  Brewer
                  Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

We got a "sample" one and managed to break the plastic ring around the top/bottom in short order.

Comment

I have been using them for 8 months or so for inhouse and festival events. So far so good. I think I might have found one that started leaking the other day but I had already filled it with porter so I just put it on...

The cost was way lower than SS and I think a great value. I have heard of them splitting when dropped (happened to one of our neighbor breweries).

I would buy more in the future... i have 20 1/6 and 40+ 1/2's

R/
                      Mike Pensinger
                      General Manager/Brewmaster
                      Parkway Brewing Company
                      Salem, VA

Comment

The one I received as a sample does not fit on my keg washer. That's a deal breaker.

Geoff Logan
                        Brewer
                        AleWerks

Comment

Yeah they wont work on an IDD

They work for anything that uses a coupler on it.

R/
                          Mike Pensinger
                          General Manager/Brewmaster
                          Parkway Brewing Company
                          Salem, VA

Comment

Working...
                          X