Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiller Sizing

Hi,
    I have a 30 bbl system with 3 15 bbl fvs and we´ve just added 3 30 bbl fvs. Can anyone tell me how many. I have a 5hp chiller, with 20 gallon tank and its not cooling the big fermenters to filtration temperatures.
    Can anyone tell me by claculations or past experience how many HP and glycol tank size do I need to work comfortable with the 3 new tanks?
    Thanks

Hi Ignacio,
    I ran the following Load scenario:

Active Fermentation:
    1 EA 15 bbl
    1 EA 30 bbl

Crashcooling from 70 F to 36 F in 24 hrs
    1 EA 30 bbl
    1 EA 15 Bbl

Conditioning/Holding at 36 F
    1 EA 30 bbl
    1 EA 15 bbl

The estimated cooling load is about 35,000 BTU/HR- likely a bit over the capacity of your 5 HP Chiller System.

Another issue, other than enough HP, is if you have adequate flow to the new jacketed fermenters. I'd be happy to review your system if you want to do a rough sketch of your brewery, noting the length and size of the glycol piping. Also any information on the glycol pump feeding the brewery. The first step might be to increase the flow, than take a look at the chiller cooling capacity.

Let me know if I can help.

Jim
    Pro Refrigeration Inc.
    jimvgjr@prorefrigeration.com

Comment

another one

Jim-
      I have 4 '7bbl' fv's, and i cast out about 8.9 bbls into them. Max load is with 2 fermentors chilling @ 35f and 2 crashing from 68-35. Actual performance though is 40-38 max chilling, they just dont get any colder! Also they have sporadic performance, both on each tank and in comparision to the others.
      Flow is though 1 inch pvc, about 30ft, to 3/4 pex, about 10 feet from pvc to tank. Tank connections are 3/4. Resivior and chiller are on roof (About 20ft)and valved to 10 psi so I get 15 psi at the tanks. The is no backflow preventors or ground level return pump. Also they have no air-bleeders.
      I have a guy that can confirm the size of the chiller, he doesent know the cooling load though. Also they are Pub manufactured if that helps- wish I knew how the jackets were built and the insulation used--
      I was thinking flow problems, but want to confirm chilling capacity.
      Thanks in advance.
      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
      "Your results may vary"

Comment

Hi Ted,

Did a quick load calculation on the 4 Ea 7 Bbl Fermenters and the cooling load is only about 10,000 BTU/HR. A Chiller in the 2-3 HP Range should provide the required capacity.

What temperature are you running your glycol at? I understand that the unit is on the roof and not easily accessible, but does the compressor run alot- indicating a bigger load than you have capacity for? Or does the compressor catch up and cycle off on temperature, this would indicate it is more an issue with exchanging the heat in the tank jackets.

Your service technician can put an hour meter on the compressor too in order to find out the percentage of time the unit is running.

Shoot me any information on your chiller and/or system and we will see if we can make the situation better.

Thanks

Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim

I have aproximately 25 meters of piping, 3-4". The glycol pump is 1 HP.
          Thanks again,
          Ignacio from Argentina

QUOTE=jimvgjr]Hi Ignacio,
          I ran the following Load scenario:

Active Fermentation:
          1 EA 15 bbl
          1 EA 30 bbl

Crashcooling from 70 F to 36 F in 24 hrs
          1 EA 30 bbl
          1 EA 15 Bbl

Conditioning/Holding at 36 F
          1 EA 30 bbl
          1 EA 15 bbl

The estimated cooling load is about 35,000 BTU/HR- likely a bit over the capacity of your 5 HP Chiller System.

Another issue, other than enough HP, is if you have adequate flow to the new jacketed fermenters. I'd be happy to review your system if you want to do a rough sketch of your brewery, noting the length and size of the glycol piping. Also any information on the glycol pump feeding the brewery. The first step might be to increase the flow, than take a look at the chiller cooling capacity.

Let me know if I can help.

Jim
          Pro Refrigeration Inc.
          jimvgjr@prorefrigeration.com[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
          X