Letting wort rest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letting wort rest?

I plan to up the grain bill for two batches of our regular beer and collect the first runnings from those two for a stronger beer while using the tailings for the regular beer.

For instance: If 180 kg of malt normally gives me 1200 liter of 1038 wort I will instead use 350 kg of malt and end up with 1200 liter of 1038 wort AND 400 liters of 1090+ wort "for free". Whohoo!!

I will collect the wort over two brew-days for a total volume of 800 liters.

My question is: Will the wort develop off-flavors from resting in the holding vessel for about 24 hours. I expect to be a bit darker from oxidation which is OK and a certain degree of souring from lactic-acid bacteria would even be nice. However are thee other things that may be problematic?

-Christian

Make sure you store the wort chilled to ferment temp (at the very least, get it below 120*F) to prevent DMS formation. Chill it as soon as possible.

If you are looking to avoid any sour/lactic character, get it below 80*F as soon as you can, and keep everything as clean as you can. Otherwise, you should be fine.
    -Lyle C. Brown
    Brewer
    Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

you could pitch yeast into the first batch of high gravity wort on day one, essentially making a giant starter. I will do this on 2-day brews and have had excellent results, especially with worts that are above 1080. Just a thought.

Comment

I agree with James, kill two birds with one stone and avoid potential problems, not to mention create less work and time your tanks are tied up.

Comment

Exactly - I would start fermenting both batches (1st and 2nd runnings) immediately, after day 1, rather than waiting to collect the total volume. Most big beers I've done have followed this method (the seven imperial stout that we made, for example...) - to great results, I believe =)
          Good Luck Christian.
          Shaun e.

Comment

Originally posted by James Murray
            you could pitch yeast into the first batch of high gravity wort on day one, essentially making a giant starter. I will do this on 2-day brews and have had excellent results, especially with worts that are above 1080. Just a thought.
            I plan to boil the wort collected from the two previous brewdays on the third day (it almost sounds biblical?).

Boiling 400 liters only may be problematic because of the location of the steam jacket.

So that means that it will be unboiled wort that will sit for about 24 hours.

-Christian

Comment

My chief concern would be ensuring that enzymes are deactivated. If not, the results could surprise you.

Comment

Originally posted by wiredgourmet
                My chief concern would be ensuring that enzymes are deactivated. If not, the results could surprise you.
                Good point. I guess an extra long mashout will be in order for something like this.

I am looking forward to see the effect such a long rest will have on the clarity of the wort.

-Christian

Comment

Working...
                X