Bamforth, beer and bone health

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bamforth, beer and bone health

Interesting research linking beer and bone health.

A new study suggests that beer is a significant source of dietary silicon, a key ingredient for increasing bone mineral density. Details of this study are available in the February issue of the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, published by Wiley-Blackwell on behalf of the Society of Chemical Industry.

Can this be used to advertise the health benefits of beer given the publication and author? Would the FTC get upset if you did?

Interesting stuff - it's also in at least 1 decent UK newspaper today & being twittered & blogged about by beery folks.

A new study claims that certain types of beer are a rich source of dietary silicon, and can help prevent osteoporosis

I went to a talk about 8 yrs ago that seemed to say the very same thing, but it's nice to see it in the press, however I wish the bone health people would understand that (AFAIK) this specific benefit of beer is *in addition to* the other benefits of moderate alcohol consumption (i.e. that all of the pro-alcohol health claims tend to bang on about red wine & little else, which doesn't have this added bone health benefit).

Nice witty & wise blog piece about beer & health here -
    As someone who takes an interest in beer, fitness and diet I thought it was a good idea to discuss the scientific knowledge about beer and t...

from a former colleague of mine, now head- brewer at a v successful UK craft-brewery.

cheers
    MikeMcG

Comment

Working...
    X