spent grain wieght?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spent grain wieght?

Just curious if anyone out there has a resonable idea what a kilo or pound of grist is going to wiegh after mashing and proper draining? Thanks
    BrewerBill

bill,

if nobody gets back to you with a figure I'll weigh our spent grain bins for you after tomorrow's brew....

Comment

Originally posted by bill12
      Just curious if anyone out there has a resonable idea what a kilo or pound of grist is going to wiegh after mashing and proper draining? Thanks
      According to M & B Science vol. 1, page 295: At the end of sparging, spent grain (draff) remains, equivalent to about 20 - 22% by dry weight of the original grist. So 100 lb. dry would weigh approximately 120 - 122 lbs.
      Cheers & I'm out!
      David R. Pierce
      NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
      POB 343
      New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

depends

Well it depends on what you mean by "proper draining". If you remove the spent grains say an hour after you're finished, versus waiting overnight, the latter will be much lighter and drier.

Comment

Originally posted by Sulfur
          Well it depends on what you mean by "proper draining". If you remove the spent grains say an hour after you're finished, versus waiting overnight, the latter will be much lighter and drier.
          Yep, like every thing we do, depends. My guess would be 115% of dry weight for a properly drained mash, not overnight.
          Cheers & I'm out!
          David R. Pierce
          POB 343
          New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Originally posted by kai
            bill,

if nobody gets back to you with a figure I'll weigh our spent grain bins for you after tomorrow's brew....
            That would be interesting.
            Cheers & I'm out!
            David R. Pierce
            POB 343
            New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

All I know is shoveling spent grain from a 30 bbl batch is a great workout.
              BJ Knoke
              Hub City Brewing Company
              "The Largest Microbrewery In Stanley, Iowa"

Comment

Originally posted by beertje46
                That would be interesting.
                Gave this a go today, bear in mind these were weighed on the tines of the forklift so not a super accurate balance.

1.1 tonnes of malt (all barley), drained 5 minutes and raked during dumping out the chute, weighed 1.8 tonnes.

Comment

Working...
                X