CO2 usage in 7bbl brewpub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO2 usage in 7bbl brewpub

Hey everyone. I am currently starting a brewpub with a 7bbl system. Have been looking for CO2 suppliers lately. The local one I found has informed me that I can only rent a bulk liquid tank if I use a certain amount per month, otherwise I can only get several 50lb tanks. So in short I am trying to figure out how much CO2 I might be using in a month to see if I can still get a bulk tank.

We have 2 7bbl fermentors, a 14bbl fermentor, & 6 7bbl brite tanks. So we can probably only brew 2-3 times per week at most. Transferring anywhere between 8-12 7 bbl batches to serving tanks. How much CO2 is in a 7bbl brite tank @ 15psi? We will be naturally carbonating as much as we can. We also will be using 6 beer pumps set at 40 psi with a draw of 5-6 meters, because the tanks are below the bar. If anybody has any idea how I might go about calculating any of this I would appreciate any response.

I am in a 7bbl brewpub with 400 pound bulk tank which I have filled twice a month. We have 3 7bbl fermenters and 2 14bbl fermenters along with 4 7bbl serving tanks. Our bulk co2 carbontates our soda, and sometimes I use it to touch up carbonation when my natural carbonation is not to the volumes that I am looking for. It is also used to purge serving tanks, and to clean kegs. I wonder why your local co2 company is requiring a minimum? What is the minimum? If your pub gets busy enough for it to support itself, I say then you will be at his required usage. It just doesnt make sense that he would rather drop off and handle a bunch of 50# tanks, than stop by and fill your bulk??
    Tim Butler

Empire Brewing Co.
    Syracuse, NY

Comment

Co2 usage

We have a 7 bbl brewery with a 600# bulk CO2 tank that is filled twice a month. We have 4 7bbl fermenters and one 21 bbl fermenter, 4 7bbl serving tanks and 2 15 bbl serving tanks. We use the Co2 as normal for carbonating, purging tanks, pushing into kegs for packaging and for a direct feed into a McDantim nitrogen/Co2 blender for serving. We naturally carbonate when we can and go through about 500 pounds a month for all our uses. Annually we do about 700 bbls. I cannot understand how you would not meet their minimum right off the bat. I our first year of only 450 bbls we started with a smaller bulk tank of 400 pounds until we were at the volume needed to upgrade. No 50# deliveries no fuss. They will probably ding you on the delivery charges every time they bring in 50 pounders as well.

Michael Uhrich
      Owner/Brewer
      Carter's Craft Brewery
      Billings, MT

Comment

Working...
      X