Charging for POS items, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging for POS items, etc.

Can anyone give me some examples of pricing policy TO distributors for POS items (coasters, table tents, etc.) as well as for required items like tap handles. For example, if my tap handles cost $18.00 each, do you (a) pass through at cost or (b) mark it up to distributor. Same for coasters and tents?

Thanks,

John:

Good luck getting a distributor to pay anything for a taphandle. Might be different in your zip code, but in the rocky mountain west the brewer is expected to supply his own taphandles at his cost.

As far as shwag - tshirts, glassware, coasters, etc, my distributors splits my cost with me 50/50.

Cheers,

Sam

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Sam that helps. I appreciate the feedback.

John

Comment

Depends on the stuff, I charge for all of my taps 50/50 (granted they cast $40), and I normally comp a case of glasses here and there, but don't get in the habit of it. I try to find a balance because most of my distros print up signage and such at no cost.

Comment

Originally posted by redlodge.sam
          Good luck getting a distributor to pay anything for a taphandle. Might be different in your zip code, but in the rocky mountain west the brewer is expected to supply his own taphandles at his cost.
          It is the same here for us in California. Taphandles are considered a cost of doing business and you gotta have them.

Everything else is usually 50/50 (neons, pint glasses, etc.)
          -Anthony
          Drake's Brewing
          San Leandro, CA
          www.drinkdrakes.com

Comment

Maybe this belongs in a separate thread...one about stupid beer laws, but it is not really an issue in VA, since POS items (except tap handles, which are pretty much required) are ILLEGAL. Makes it pretty hard for a bar owner to use any coasters when he must specifically use coasters for beers he does not sell!
            -Lyle C. Brown
            Brewer
            Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

what about self-distributing brewers? One of my accounts asked for a case of our logoed glassware. Do I charge a discounted price to the bar?
              Tim Eichinger
              Visit our website blackhuskybrewing.com

Comment

get a deposit

You can ask for a deposit on tap handles. I know a few breweries here in Wisconsin that get deposits on their tap handles. This way you get paid for your handle because you will never see it again even with a deposit. Distributors don’t care they will try to get it for free but if you say oh its free, no charge, I just need deposit it gets wrote in a different column for accounting and gets wrote off by them as cost of doing business.

jamie

Comment

Working...
                X