Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Steam to Clean/Sanitize

Hello-

I have a question that I cannot find an answer to on any of the other forums. I wish to clean my 1/2 bbl SS conical fermenters with steam. I have read that in the old days before PBW and StarSan, that steam was the norm for cleaning and/or sanitizing, but I cannot find any info on how long to steam, if it's better for cleaning rather than sanitizing, the other way around, etc. Just trying to limit my replaceable expenditures and use the ole noggin.

I would imagine it's better for cleaning than sanitizing and I should still use StarSan afterwards, but I thought I'd ask. It is not a pressure-steam cleaning mechanism like a keg washer, it is one of those clothes steamers with a wand that you hold in your hand (in stead of ironing). The base unit connects to the hose via a standard fitting and I just purchased a hot water heater hose and a 3/4" hose thread to 3/4" pipe thread adapter into the bottom ball valve and I lay the fermenter on it's side. Works great actually and the whole thing heats up in seconds. Was thinking if it was long enough it would liquify the yeast cake and prevent the need for long PWB soaks.

Thought I'd ask in stead of risking an infection. Thanks.

I don't know of anywhere that uses steam to actually do the cleaning. Except for cleaning zebra mussels from power station cooling water inlets. Anyway, steam is a great sterilizer, but I'd stick to chemicals for soil removal. You can bake organic soils right on to your fermenter. Especially at the krausen line. If you're trying to save money, the electrical requirements of steam are probably higher that PBW or similar.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

OK, so I just found a page that recommends using steam to sanitize but not to clean. Sabco makes converted Sanke fermenters. They recommend cleaning and then sanitizing via putting a little water in the keg and putting it on top of a burner. Maybe I should ask them about it. My fermenter is similar to what they make.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

The idea of steam sanitizing is to raise the surface temperature to 180+ degrees without substantial wetting. Make sure when using this device you described that this occurs, otherwise it's useless for sanitizing. Additionally, make sure your tank cools before pitching your yeast.

Comment

It's not unusual here in the UK for steam-sterilisation of various plant. As other have already said though, make sure you clean thoroughly beforehand.

Making sure you have eliminated any deadlegs or other poor flow areas is also critical as these won't reach the necessary high temperatures for effective sterilisation - all you'll do is to give the bugs a nice, warm bath

Comment

Steam won't be a good cleaner, but it's a GREAT sanitizer if you don't burn yourself. Also you have to make sure it's "clean" steam as opposed to that which comes from a boiler, possibly containing boiler chemical and rust from the inside of pipes. I've heard of large breweries sanitizing kegs with clean steam, which is run through stainless pipes.

Comment

Working...
            X