Lenticular filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenticular filters

I am looking into a bigger filter. My 20 X 20 plate and frame is not doing the job. GW Kent has a few options. The 40x40 filter with 30 plates would work, but is anyone using a leticular filter or a cartrige filter? Not for sterile filtration just polishing. I'm filtering 10 bbl's

Thanks
    Tim

Hey Tim,

One brewery that I worked for used a 20x20 plate filter (just 5 plates) and a cartridge just in front. Also for polishing. We actually had 2 cartridges, and when the filter would slow down, we flipped the valves from one to the other, and put the first on backflush for about 15 minutes. We were doing 10-18 bbls a day, and the cartridges would last 5 sessions or more. New pads each time, of course.

We did a beer with jaggery added to it once, and it tore big holes in the filters. But short of that, seemed to work great.

Also, I sometimes run beer through a cartridge filter if it's going to miss cold storage. Generally, we don't filter in our brewery, but I do run the odd beer through the cartridge if it's going on a long warm trip before it gets consumed. Doesn't prevent refermentation, just delays it a bit. No discernable difference in taste. Unless like a total gomer you forget to flush the sanitizer out of it first (don't ask me how I know.)

nat

Comment

Thanks for the response Nat. I ended up getting a cartrige filter from GW Kent. Whats your cleaning procedure and how do you store it. Should I run 180 degree water through it for 20 min like I do to sanitize my plate and frame filter. Do you store it full of sanitizer or Co2. I assume you wouldn't run caustic or PBW through it, would you?

Thanks again,
      Tim

Comment

I was just looking at them, anyone have exp using them as a primary filtration? How many BBLs average do you get out of the filters?
        Chris Brugger
        Brewer
        Otto's Pub and Brewery
        814-867-OTTO

Comment

I'm curious about lenticular filters too. I've been doing some research on them and they seem to be a good option since you can backflush and use the same cartriges for several weeks or even months. Also, no leaks like on a plate and frame. Minimal setup other than connecting hoses, pumps and then sanitizing with hot water or steam. Shoot, the cost of the filter housing alone is less than a comparable P/F or DE filter. If the cartriges cost a few hundred each and you only change them every 5 to 10 batches, the variable costs are also very low. Am I missing something? Why are these not used more in the small brewery industry?

Andrew
          Parish Brewing Co.
          Andrew Godley
          Parish Brewing Co.
          Broussard, Louisiana

Comment

I did not have very good luck with the cartrige filter. GW kent took it back as an exchange and I went with a Lenticular filter. This has been a great filter for me. The lenticular filter has far more surface area and worked much faster. All I'm looking for is a "polished" beer. I think the cartrige filter would make a better secondary filter or sterile filter. The cartriges contain DE and do a better job, while the lenticular discs are just like a P/F pad. If you give Amar a call at Pall Corp he can answer your questions and will even let you try one out.

On lesson I learned is that you want to clear up your beer as much as possible. If you clog up your P/F pads you'll just throw them out anyway. The Discs are far more expensive so you'll want to get as much use as possible.

Tim

Comment

Working...
            X