gas leak detection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas leak detection

I'm working on a system that will use natural gas. I know I need appropriate exhaust and make up air, but I also have added the CO detector shown in the attached pdf for carbon monoxide which will shut the entire system down if CO levels get too high.

My knowledge of CO and gases are limited, except that I know they can kill you, so I thought the CO detector as a safety was a good idea.

Carbon monoxide is produced after the gas fuel has undergone combustion, right?

So, would some sort of detector be a good idea as an alert if there is a build up of natural gas prior to combustion? If so, can anyone recommend a detector?

How do commercial kitchens handle potential gas leaks?
    John Little | Auburn, Alabama
    General Counsel, Southern Farmhouse

CO is the result of INCOMPLETE combustion. A detector sounds like a good idea, but I've never seen them interlocked to the boiler, even where building codes have gone wild. When I worked in Korea, the kitchens had a motor operated gas valve with spring return that would close in the event of natural gas alarm. Might also be a good idea, but prevention is key. Have a reputable contractor install the boiler and I think you'll be good. (especially if he knows you're a lawyer!) Millions of people live with natural gas combustion in their living & work places without incident. Remember that the more equipment you install the more complicated it will be, the more nuisance trippings you'll have, the more stuff you'll have to replace when it goes bad, etc. There may be unintended consequences to being over-rigorous.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

A CO detector is a must if you are burning gas. Follow vendor instructions for unit placement to avoid nuisance alarms and shutdowns.
      As far as gas detection goes, most people don't bother with it because they have noses and gas has a smell. That said, I bought a combination CO/gas plug in alarm by accident when I grabbed the first one I saw and didn't read the package. Made by Kidde, bought it at Lowes for ~$40.
      I had to take it out of service 'cause wife's hairspray was triggering it every morning.

Comment

Working...
      X