Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glycol system install

Hey all

Starting a 7bbl brewpub, currently working on getting our glycol system set up. Been looking at old threads to figure out the best way to run pipes and such. In one thread (http://www.probrewer.com/vbulletin/s...glycol+systems) a used name diamond knot says "The first tank to see Glycol in the Supply Main should be the furthest away from the reservoir in the Return Main and the last to drain." & then in another post he puts "First in, Last out " literally means that the first tank in this circulatory system is also the start of the Return Main as the Glycol exits that first tank. This tank is furthest away, Return Main system wise, from the Glycol tank."

Im confused does he mean that the farthest tank from the chiller/reservoir should be the first on the supply line or the return line or both? If it needs to be the first supply in with the last return out then we would have to run our pipes along the whole length of the brewspace passing all other tanks, which seems a waste of pipe. If this is the case, why exactly is it necessary? If it just needs to be the farthest away on the return line (therefore the last to receive & the first to the return line) then this is what we have already been planning for. If Diamond or anyone can explain what he meant or can offer any other pointers I would appreciate it.

Glycol Systems

Mike,

I'm not sure what was intended be your source.

All of the glycol systems I have worked on run in parallel and have a balancing valve at the end "return". Remember that you are cooling and the inlet is at the bottom of the jacket. (opposite of steam)

Graydon
    live2brew@yahoo.com

Comment

The late Brian Sollenberger of Diamond Knot had fought issues of consistent cooling rates on his fermenters, we worked together on a piping design to help alleviate this issue. In theory the First In / Last Out provides an equal glycol flow path on each fermenter instead of the closest fermenter receiving more flow than one of the fermenters at the end of the loop. Of course you have different size tanks, cooling jackets, and a number of other factors that need to be factored in.

Often the fermenters will be aligned in two rows, this makes incorporating this design pretty easy-(run your supply header in one direction and the return the other direction). Other breweries with multiple tank rooms, or spread put floorplan of course makes this not so feasible.

Of course simply running your supply and return in parallel and installing balancing or zone valves is an option and as previuosly mentioned is pretty common. In Brians case the balancing valves didn't solve his issue.

I'd be happy to take a look at your layout and provide a suggestion for routing the glycol lines. I'm out of the office until next week, but would be happy to review upon my return.

Hope this helps.

Jim
      jimvgjr@prorefrigeration.com

Comment

Working...
      X