Cask beer cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cask beer cooling

Hello, I have a pub in northern California, and I've just acquired a beer engine. I plan on serving cask-conditioned beer from a slim quarter sized keg (about 11in diameter by 24in tall). I lack the bar space to add a dedicated cooler, and we do not have air conditioning (it gets extremely hot in the summer behind the bar). I'd like to keep my keg around 58F, and my keg will be situated vertically under the bar.

Last resort would be a 8-10 foot long draw from a dedicated basement fridge, but I'd much prefer to keep the keg right under the bar. I was looking at flash chillers to recirculate cold water through a saddle (see http://www.filton.net/acatalog/Cask_...___Probes.html) but I don't see anything that would fit a slim quarter. Anyone have a clever solution to keep a keg at cellar temp without a fridge, in very limited space?

Noah,
    Barley and Hops Tavern
    Noah A. Bolmer

Barley and Hops Tavern
    Occidental, CA
    www.barleynhops.com

Warped Brewing Company
    Sebastopol, CA

I don't know how often you are planning on serving cask beer, but a real simple solution is a few bags of ice and a tub to place the cask in. It is reasonably inexpensive and an easy solution. I pour cask every thursday from our brewery tasting room and its really only a couple of bucks to keep it proper for about 9-10 hours of the day. Word!

James Murray
    Lead Brewer/Asst. Distiller
    Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits
    San Diego, CA

Comment

Originally posted by James Murray
      I don't know how often you are planning on serving cask beer, but a real simple solution is a few bags of ice and a tub to place the cask in. It is reasonably inexpensive and an easy solution. I pour cask every thursday from our brewery tasting room and its really only a couple of bucks to keep it proper for about 9-10 hours of the day. Word!

James Murray
      Lead Brewer/Asst. Distiller
      Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits
      San Diego, CA
      Heya James - thanks for the advice. I was considering a solution that involved building a cooler out of a trash can and insulation, using ice to keep the keg cool. The problem is that I plan on having cask ale at all times. I'd just as soon not lug the keg to the walk-in every night. I'm assured by a very respected brewer that constant temperature is important with cask beer, so I don't want to go from cold to room temp over the course of several days. I'm thinking that if I insulate well enough, the ice should last overnight, and I can just replace some as it melts each day. I plan on keeping the keg very close to my bar ice maker, so it shouldn't be a hassle. Am I missing something, or is this a good idea?

Cheers!

Noah
      Noah A. Bolmer

Barley and Hops Tavern
      Occidental, CA
      www.barleynhops.com

Warped Brewing Company
      Sebastopol, CA

Comment

There used to be some sort of wrap around cooling jackets available for cask beer in the UK. Not sure what happened to them, but apparently they were pretty effective.

You could try SIBA or the IBD as I really can't remember who used to supply these things, let alone if they are still available
        dick

Comment

Check these guys out. Looks like they have just about everything for Cask Ale in the US. http://www.ukbrewing.com/caskcooling.cfm

Jeff
          CBW
          Cheers!

Jeff
          Carbondale Beer Works

Comment

Originally posted by BonedaleBeer
            Check these guys out. Looks like they have just about everything for Cask Ale in the US. http://www.ukbrewing.com/caskcooling.cfm

Jeff
            CBW
            ..everything except that cooler for the size keg I mentioned in the original post. I'll probably try insulation and ice packs instead of somehting more high tech.
            Noah A. Bolmer

Barley and Hops Tavern
            Occidental, CA
            www.barleynhops.com

Warped Brewing Company
            Sebastopol, CA

Comment

Noah,
              I just want to know where you are so I can come have a pint!
              Cheers,

Brian Ford
              Auburn Alehouse
              brewmaster@auburnalehouse.com

Comment

Originally posted by bford
                Noah,
                I just want to know where you are so I can come have a pint!
                Occidental, CA
                Noah A. Bolmer

Barley and Hops Tavern
                Occidental, CA
                www.barleynhops.com

Warped Brewing Company
                Sebastopol, CA

Comment

Working...
                X