Mashing high

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mashing high

What is the maximum mashing temp you have ever done?

I am thinking about mashing a low ABV mild as warm as possible to maximize mouth feel and recidual sweetness. I have mashed at 70C with good results but have never gone higher out of fear to denature the enzymes.

Any advice?

-Christian

Low Ridin'

My advice is to mash low. Seriously. In my experience with low-abv beers, mashing high results in a syrupy viscosity that kills sessionability. You can prevent the beer from being too thin by using ingredients like Belgian dark candi syrup (http://darkcandi.com/d.html).

Joe

Comment

Mmmmmm! viscous...

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply.

Originally posted by jwalts
      My advice is to mash low. Seriously. In my experience with low-abv beers, mashing high results in a syrupy viscosity that kills sessionability. You can prevent the beer from being too thin by using ingredients like Belgian dark candi syrup (http://darkcandi.com/d.html).

Joe
      That is not really my impression. Being almost 100% fermentable I would believe that would actually have the opposite effect.

I have used dark candii syrup (both bougt and homemade) to "cut" the malt profile of dark belgians and stouts to provide them with greater drinkability.

Anyway having it a bit syrupy and viscous would be OK as I am aiming for <3% and would need all the help I can get to avoid it getting thin.

-Christian

Comment

I suppose I should have said "seeming too thin" instead of "being too thin". Dark candi syrup combats the perception of wateriness by adding flavor complexity, even though the resulting beers are well-attenuated.

As for mashing high, I've heard of people going as high as 162F/72C. Because alpha amylase works so quickly (especially at elevated temperatures), it's hard to denature it before it's done with its job. I've even heard it postulated - maybe by Michael Lewis, but I don't remember - that brewers shouldn't worry about alpha amylase because, during the mashout and/or sparge (i.e. at high temperatures), the starches it breaks down simply break down on their own. I don't know if that's true or not.

You could experiment with different temperatures pretty easily with a with a scaled-down mash and some iodine. As long as iodine doesn't turn the wort black or purple, you should be good to go.

Joe

Comment

Never mind about high temperatures breaking starches down during sparging. Since large starches can end up in finished beer, i.e. they survive boiling, I obviously mixed something up. Maybe the theory was just that alpha amylase works quickly enough at mashout/sparge temperatures that full conversion still occurs.

Joe

Comment

Hejsa,

I´m mashing up to 74 C, if I need a extra low fermentation degree. The apha-amylases is first fully denatured at 76 C, you mimimum mash out temperature.
            Christoph

"How much beer is in German intelligence !" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Hi Christoph,

What post-ferm. OG/FG do you get from doing that?

Is that for your Hvidtøl?

-Christian

Comment

I brewed a beer that I did primary fermentation with Wyeast's Roselair blend. I used 33% mixed crystal malts, and mashed at 71C. The resulting wort was heavy, sweet, and very complex with 6 different crystal malts. Finished beer was dry and extremely well attenuated, thanks to the bugs in the blend.
                -Lyle C. Brown
                Brewer
                Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

Mashing high? Happy 420, dudes!

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianSA

What post-ferm. OG/FG do you get from doing that?
                    I get a RDA (real degree of attenuation) of 60 %. I tried to lower that a little, but did not succeed. I guess using large amounts of special malt, would lower it further.

Originally posted by ChristianSA

Is that for your Hvidtøl?
                    No, I stop fermentation of the Hvidtøl about 14 h after pitching yeast, and end up with about 1,8 % alc. We are doing stopped fermentation aswell for Danmarks most popular Ale, to get a RDA of about 50%. But this gives you many other things to consider, like diacetyl or sulfur that will remain in the beer in elevated levels.
                    Christoph

"How much beer is in German intelligence !" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Hey Moonlight, THAT WAS FUNNY! Cheers to you!
                      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by Øl-sheik
                        I get a RDA (real degree of attenuation) of 60 %. I tried to lower that a little, but did not succeed. I guess using large amounts of special malt, would lower it further.

No, I stop fermentation of the Hvidtøl about 14 h after pitching yeast, and end up with about 1,8 % alc. We are doing stopped fermentation aswell for Danmarks most popular Ale, to get a RDA of about 50%. But this gives you many other things to consider, like diacetyl or sulfur that will remain in the beer in elevated levels.
                        RDA of 50 - Wow! - That would explain why it is sickly sweet.

-Christian

Comment

Working...
                        X