Glycol Chillers I dont get it!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycol Chillers I dont get it!!!

This subject really confuses me. I know I need one but I have no idea which one to get, size, cost or where to get it.
    I want to use it for the fermenters. I am going to have 2 9.5 bbl ferms.
    I want to be able to use the same one when I expand my tanks.
    I am going to use a warm room to control the temps for aging.
    Any infon would greatly be welcomed. Oh I saw these on graingers site.
    When it comes to Electrical Enclosure Air Conditioners, you can count on Grainger. Supplies and solutions for every industry, plus easy ordering, fast delivery and 24/7 customer support.

Those are similar to water fountain chillers, just remote. Check out the refrigeration guide on this forum for more info about glycol chillers for the brewing process.

Refrigeration 101 By studying and understanding the basic principles of refrigeration, you will be able to understand any type of refrigeration system you might encounter. For any mechanical refrig…

Comment

Yeah I have seen it before but it didnt lay it out for me in a way I could understand it.
      I am looking to know that X machine will chill X X X sized fermenters XXX many degrees. This is what it cost and who I would recommend.

And then theres the piping.

Comment

Check out:

G&D Chillers (541) 345-3903.
        Pro Refrigeration (253) 735-9466

I have received an engieneered proposal from these two

International Bev Tech (773) 203-8809
        They come in the cheapest

I have not used any of these systems but am in the market myself.
        Chuck Williamson
        Butternuts Beer & Ale
        (607) 263-5070
        butternuts@frontiernet.net

Comment

There's a lot of confusion in regards to glycol units, selecting the proper unit, etc. I've really tried to come up with an easy "one size fits all" answer, unfortunately there's just too many variables. I currently have an updated guide in the works that will hopefully simplify and make the process more user friendly.

You mention needing a chiller system for 2 EA 9.5 Bbl Fermenters, plus the ability to add more tanks down the road. How many tanks are you planning to add.

You will need the chiller for three purposes (at least):
          1) to control fermentation and hold at temperature.
          2) To crash cool after fermentation
          3) To hold at temperature after crash cooling for conditioning/brite/lagering.

For example if you wanted a chiller system that will service 4 EA 9.5 Bbl Fermenters, I might use the following as an Estimated Brewery Load:

2 EA 9.5 Bbl Fermenters in Active Fermentation
          1 EA 9.5 Bbl Fermenter Crash Cooling from 70 F to 36 F in 24 hours
          1 EA 9.5 Bbl Fermenter holding at 36 F

Estimated Cooling Load based on the above is approximately: 10,000 BTU/HR

For this duty, I'd recommend a 2 HP ChilStar Micro Chiller System, with an operating capacity of approximately 12,000 BTU/HR based on 27 F Glycol and 90 F Ambient.

If it is likely that you will expand even further- or need to "crash cool" more than one tank at a time- I'd suggest you consider up sizing to a 3 HP Model with a rated capacity of approximately 20,000 BTU/HR.

Please email us at sales@prorefrigeration.com if you'd like a formal proposal put together and emailed over to you.

Good Luck,

Jim

Pro Refrigeration Inc.
          jimvgjr@prorefrigeration.com

Comment

Glycol Chiller

Crystacabot,
            My only bit of advice would be to listen to Jim at Pro Refrigeration. Not sure there is anybody more knowledgeable and helpful with it comes to Glycol systems. Food for thought. Good luck.

Adam Palmer
            Marble City Brewing Company
            Saw Works Brewing Company
            "Knoxville's Oldest Microbrewery!"

Comment

Working...
            X