Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic Kegs

All,
    I have followed some of the older posts about Plastic Kegs and haven't seen anything recent about them... Was wondering if anyone has had any additional issues or comments about them. We are a small start up brewery that will be self distributing and are thinking that this might be a good way to go initially. Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated.

Regards

Alan
    Last edited by millerag; 07-29-2010, 07:02 AM.
    Cheers!
    -Alan

Judging by how many different manufacturers of them there were at the CBC, they will be in the future of the industry. I spoke to the guys that advertise on here Plastic Kegs America. They have gone through several generations of improvments already. I saw a nice video of a full plastic keg being dropped from five, ten, and fifteen feet without anything breaking. I would still like to test one for a few years to see how it stands up over time with heat and chemicals.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

i bought 20 and had all kinds of problems ,leaky seals ,leaky joints etc. i never got a response back from the supplier

Comment

I have about 50 of the PKA kegs and have had no issues with any of them. I only use them in-house and for festival use so they do not get much distributor handling.
        Mike Pensinger
        General Manager/Brewmaster
        Parkway Brewing Company
        Salem, VA

Comment

Originally posted by DeadfrogDerrick
          i bought 20 and had all kinds of problems ,leaky seals ,leaky joints etc. i never got a response back from the supplier
          How long ago did you purchase them?
          Cheers!
          -Alan

Comment

So far so good

I'm using a few right now from PKA and they're working fine (no leaks at least, valves are high quality, etc) so far. I am about to send my first batch to the distributor so we'll see how well they work once they return to the brewery and going forward.

Andrew
            Parish Brewing Co.
            Andrew Godley
            Parish Brewing Co.
            Broussard, Louisiana

Comment

Slide your plastic

We use some of the 1/6 BBL size and they have several issues. Don't drop when cold as the plastic color breaks, Keep a tightner gismo and bang it around with a rubber hammer after cleaning as the heat loosens them up. Nice 'cause you can peak inside whenever you want just treat 'em gentle. One last note the last batch we got back from the distributer got covered in grease from their forklift and impossible to clean. Stick with SS if you have a choice though I saw Kona brewing was using the 1/2 BBL size. Never tried one yet.

Comment

We recently bought 10 1/6-bbls from PKA. Four of them have had leaks on the outer edge of the rubber o-ring. While prodding one with a flat screwdriver to try to get it to seal properly, a fairly large plastic shaving came out! Must be a remnant from the spear being threaded into the plastic top. (The leak stopped after that.) Otherwise, they're light and easy to work with. We'll have to wait and see how they hold up...

Matt Mercer
                Old World Brewery
                Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Working...
                X