Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back liquoring / watering down

Hi

I have just brewed a beer that i have brewed many times before. Always end up 1040 and FV is full. This time it is sitting at 1046 and FV is still full. I need this beer to be ABV 4% and have no spare capacity /time to brew another batch. I'd rather not end up throwing some away and liquoring down to 1040, so would like to alter ABV when racking off.

Does anyone have a formula for doing this. It will end up at around 4.6% -4.7% ABV by the time the US-05 has done it's stuff.

thanks in advance.

Yog

Yog,

There is a simple mixing formula that can be used for all kind's of things including alcohol, color, bitterness. One thing it does not apply to is pH, since that is an exponential scale.

Aa + Bb = Cc or
    Aa + Bb = (A+B)c

You didn't mention your batch size, so I'll use 10bbl. in the example.

Volume(alc%) + volume(alc%)=finished volume(alc%)

10bbl(4.7%) + B (0) = (10bbl + B)(4%)
    47 + 0 = 40 + 4B
    7/4 = B
    1.75bbl=B

Cheers,
    Travis
    Travis Hixon
    Blackstone Brewing Co.
    Nashville, TN
    travis@blackstonebrewery.com

Comment

The odd time I've worked in a brewery that did this (liquoring back, post-fermentation of cask beer) it's turned out a really thin, watery beer (unlike those beers that were liquored-back prior to fermentation, which have been fine - I worked at a regional that used the same grist for several beers from 5% to 3.4% if memory serves, with no real problem).

If I was you, I'd sell it at the higher strength & call it "(Beername) Extra" & see if it sells well :~)

Good luck either way - maybe do a test rack with the liquor added & see how it tastes?
      cheers
      MikeMcG

Comment

Just remember to liquor back with sterile de-aerated water.
        And you might use the same formula suggested to find the push you need to hit your actual FG. If the AFG is the same it shouldn't come out to thin and watery.
        Cheers
        __
        Kushal Hall
        Common Space Brewery
        Hawthorne, CA

Comment

Working...
        X