World Tandem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Tandem?

We are looking at a cost effective labeller to go with our 4 head meheen and the World Tandem certainly seems to fit that bill but we have never used one, or any automatic labeler for that matter.

Any gothca's we should be aware of? I would guess they are useable with different bottle sizes with adjustments or would it take other physical hardware to swap from a long neck to heritage?

Any tips or concerns?

Thanks

It’s been a long time, but I used to run a line that had 22 of them. What type of label design do you have? Will you be using spot necks or wrap around? The trickiest part is getting the neck labels on the same way consistently. They are a simple machine to operate, but you need to make sure the parts are in good condition to put out a quality label. If I recall you may have to change parts from long neck to heritage.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, and please correct me if I am wrong. But, the last company to make parts for the World Tandems burned to the ground late last year. We are still running one, and have been working off parts of three others for years. The wheels are about to fly off our Tandem now, so we are looking for a replacement. I am sure a machine shop could make some of the parts but there are some parts that I just can not see it being cost effective to have machined, and in a timely manner. Good luck.
      Joel Halbleib
      Partner / Zymurgist
      Hive and Barrel Meadery
      6302 Old La Grange Rd
      Crestwood, KY
      www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

RUN away as fast as you can.

Comment

i rather like our world tandem. it is solid and reliable and once u understand it a little it can be pretty simple. the parts are a small problem but we have a spare to take from when needed
          Wes Cannon
          Evolution Craft Brewing

Comment

I'm responsible for keeping the equipment running at a small regional brewery. We've had a World Tandem since I started about eight years ago. Of all the equipment we have, I spend more time on the World Tandem than anything else--possibly more than on all other equipment combined.

Parts are absolutely not available--unless you get really lucky and it's something you can find off the shelf (very rare). I've had to fabricate numerous parts with nothing but a broken, worn-out part for a pattern.

The Library of Congress does have a manual available, but at a significant copying price. I haven't been able to find one anywhere else.

There are about a gazillion Zerk fitting which require frequent greasing--and many of them will be clogged from years of not being greased, requiring a tear-down to get the old, fossilized grease out so they can be used. Whatever the Zerk went to will be showing wear from not being greased.

Changing bottles requires changing a lot of parts--none of which will likely be available. Unless, of course, you buy two machines, one set up for each bottle size, and all the parts are in good shape. Good luck.

On the other hand, this labeler has outlived two bottling lines, and is now on it's third. Most of the machine is cast iron, and those parts probably won't wear out soon enough for me.

I dream of using the World Tandem to anchor a company swimming dock at the lake, and getting something modern (at least 20th century)--preferably a rotary labeler.

If you do buy one, buy two. Make sure both are in as good of condition as possible.

Good luck--

Timm

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing.

Oops--I hear the bottlers cursing, meaning the World Tandem probably needs some more TLC.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
            X