Grains/Malts poll.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grains/Malts poll.

I searched for this and couldnt find anything exactly like I was looking for.

I know this is a broad subject with probably many different answers, I just wanted to see where our differences are.

Feel free to elaborate on your reasons why if you feel that would be helpful, and if you do, please state whether or not your a packaging brewer or a brewpub by definition.
    Weyerman
    16.28%
    Muntons
    0.00%
    Rahr
    18.60%
    Crisp
    4.65%
    Briess
    4.65%
    Cargill
    6.98%
    Great Western
    23.26%
    Durst-Malz
    2.33%
    Malt-europ
    0.00%
    other?
    23.26%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by v2comp; 05-13-2010, 10:01 AM.
    www.beerontheriver.com

We use 3 different base malts- Great Western 2-row, Great Western Pale Ale(formerly known as high-color), and Simpsons Golden Promise.
    Paul Thomas
    Brewer
    Sockeye Brewing
    www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Originally posted by pbutlert
      We use 3 different base malts- Great Western 2-row, Great Western Pale Ale(formerly known as high-color), and Simpsons Golden Promise.
      if your the brewer, do you have an indivuidual preference or enjoy them all equally?

I didnt mean to leave Simpsons off the list either, I have just never used it and forgot about it.
      www.beerontheriver.com

Comment

If cost was not an option, I would go with Weyerman, esp. for any style even vaguely German.
        Otherwise, I have not really settled on a pale ale malt yet. I have tried Muntons, and Cargill. We like Cargill, but I have had some issues with the yeilds.
        -Lyle C. Brown
        Brewer
        Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

Originally posted by beerking1
          If cost was not an option, I would go with Weyerman, esp. for any style even vaguely German.
          Otherwise, I have not really settled on a pale ale malt yet. I have tried Muntons, and Cargill. We like Cargill, but I have had some issues with the yields.
          Thats good, I really didnt want to base it on cost, that sometimes has a habit of becoming the most common situation we find ourselves in.
          www.beerontheriver.com

Comment

IMHO you missed on what we feel is one of the best base malts out there GAMBRINUS we use the pale but the pilsner malt is excellent as well
            We used to use Great western but changed to Gambrinus after testing it we get better yields and what we feel is a better product in the end

Laughing dog

Comment

We use the GW 2-row for a really light colored cream ale, GP for all our english and scottish style beers, and GW pale for the rest.
              Paul Thomas
              Brewer
              Sockeye Brewing
              www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Hugh Baird Marris Otter
                Malteries Franco Belges Pils
                Brewpub

Comment

Thomas Fawcett and Sons Maris Otter

liam
                  Liam McKenna
                  www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Years ago I switched from Briess to GW two row based on recommendations from friends and because the price was nice. I had some haze problems that I had never had before....a closer scrutiny of the bag contents revealed a lot of non malt stuff in the bag. we blew one open, spread the malt on a table and laboriously picked out everything that wasn't malt. As I recall we ended up with a few ounces of lentils, lima beans, what looked like grass seed and a few other things we could not identify. We returned the remainer to our supplier. Even though this was a packaging problem and perhaps a local one, I've never used them again.

I've made fine beers with Briess, their Bonlander Munich is great! However, I do get better yields with Weyermann. I'll second the Gambrinus Malt, always great flavor. Crisp Marris Otter is great for all your english ales.

I have not tried MaltEurop, but curious to do so as southern brewing has a great price...any experience?

Comment

Yep, pricing does have a huge effect on who we use. I'm using Cargill. Have used GW, Gambrinus, Briess, and Schreier. Found these five to all be world-class and capable of producing a quality, consistent product. I don't anticipate changing anytime soon as I have my local markets used to our beers built from Cargill and I would worry if I changed my base malt, my beers would change.
                      I'd love to brew a pilot batch of a two-row blond from each! Maybe when I retire I'll have time.

Prost Malt Monkeys!

Dave
                      Glacier Brewing Company
                      406-883-2595
                      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

depends

It should be mentioned that having yield X from Malt A one year does not imply/guarantee the same on a different year. Depends on the kind of malt you get, is it from the same kind of Barley, what were the field conditions that year, etc. To complicate things, some maltsters will mix their malts. Always ask those questions!

Comment

Working...
                        X