The current state of organic hops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The current state of organic hops

Hmmm.... Looks like everybody wants organic hops and organic hop farmers to give up and get real jobs.

How about a level playing field? So nobody actually cares about organic hops and organic brews?? Really?

This is a letter you can send to the appropriate folks if want change.
    I have been hosed by this ruling.

When "Organic" Doesn't Quite Mean Organic

If an organic pig provides meat for an organic sausage, shouldn't it also provide the organic sausage casings? Shouldn't your organic beer be brewed with organic hops?

Not according to the National Organic Standards Board, which voted in April 2010 to continue to allow "USDA Organic" stickers to be slapped on organic sausage made with non-organic casing, beer made with conventional hops and several other non-organic and synthetic ingredients. As long as these ingredients are less than 5% and a certifier has made a determination that the organic version is not commercially available, the finished product may bear the "USDA Organic" seal. If the law were more strictly enforced and these ingredients were removed from the list, they would be advertised, more accurately, as "Made With Organic Ingredients."

HOPS

According to testimony submitted at the April 2010 NOSB meeting by the American Organic Hop Grower Association, organic hops are commercially available now and their continued placement on the National List is undermining the further development of organic hop production:

Today, there are unsold organic hops available on the spot market.

Today, organic hops are being used for the production of non-organic beer. This may seem like an accomplishment, but it would be better to see organic beer containing organic hops.

Nearly 100% of the non-organic hops that are being produced in 2010 are under contract, whereas less than 10% of the organic hops that are being produced in 2010 are under contract.

We have a situation where most of the organic hops remain uncontracted, even though the norm for the hop crop is to produce under contract and contracting is a common practice in sourcing other organic ingredients.

Since November 2009, four members of the AOHGA have listed their farms as suppliers on the Accredited Certifier’s Association’s 606 organic website. As of this date, not one farm has received an inquiry resulting from the site. Given the fact that certifiers require processors to have “a system in place that regularly searches” for organic ingredients or want to see commercial availability “reviewed regularly,” this is a disappointing development.

The basic question to ask is this – how many varieties of hops must be available before variety is no longer a reason for organic hops to be considered commercially unavailable? If the criteria to remove an ingredient from the list is that every variety of the crop is commercially available, then hops (along with chia) are the only crops that have been held to such a high standard. These are the only two crops on the 606 National List. Very few crops, if any, have every variety commercially available in an organic form.

If there are not enough varieties available organically today, then how many more are needed? Five, ten? What is the number? Every year, new varieties are showing up in the non-organic marketplace. Are these required to be grown organically before hops can be removed from the list? If so, we are dealing with a moving goal post.

Certifiers will not make this determination of the number of varieties needed, and even if they did, it would lead to different standards across the industry. We need a consistent standard.

No one would be surprised by the removal of hops from the list. Anyone involved in the organic world knows about the National List and the associated sunset provision. Placement on the 606 National List was a temporary provision established until an organic hop industry could be developed. Now, an organic hop industry has developed. There has been adequate notice of the possibility that hops could be removed from the list at any time through the petition process. Arguments that the removal of hops will disrupt organic beer production can be made forever. It is an easy argument to make when there has been little effort to use the available organic hops.

It is imperative to start the process now before organic production is completely discouraged, especially here in the U.S.
    Last edited by wildcrafter; 05-14-2010, 04:26 PM.

If a beer needs non-organic hops, I wouldn't consider it an organic beer. The ruling was lame in the first place.

That being said, the organic label would be unnecessary if we were able to accurately communicate to our consumers where our ingredients came from, how they were grown, and how we use them.

I'd love to be able to say, "well, its not certified organic, but the guy down the road grows the barley, i've been to his farm and he doesn't use any chemicals; and my hop farmer grows his hops with love alone."

Beer is an agricultural product, I wish that connection was stronger among brewers and consumers alike.

Comment

totally agree with brewninja

Most of the brewers buying my hops dont care that they have been grown under strictly organic rules or that they have an organic seal on the bag. What sells my hops is the fact the brewer can tell is customer that the hops are grown in the area and can point out my hopyards so that customer can drive by and show his or her family where most of the raw ingredients that went into the beer came from. Organic hops are great for the hardcore organic beer, but what really sells is the beer that has all local ingredients, and one that you can educate the customer on, and a nice all local cash windfall as well,,,,,,,,,just my 2 cents
      Cheers Ryan

Comment

To clarify, the National Organic Standards Board has not yet voted on whether hops will remain on the National List. We anticipate the NOSB will vote on hops at their meeting this fall.

The American Organic Hop Grower Association (AOHGA) has been formed by organic hop farmers to promote the use of organic hops. For more information, please visit www.usorganichops.com or contact us at info@usorganichops.com.

Comment

Taste the difference

There are folks that can taste when a plant was grown organic. Honest.

Organoleptic testing. Taste it. You'll taste the difference of organic.

Wish more folks would taste the difference.

Comment

Its crazy that Wolavers bring in organic hops from mostly New Zealand and Europe , the food miles almost outweigh the benefits of being organic .

Comment

Matthendry.

Please check your facts before posting to this or other public forums. Wolaver's Organics do not use any imported hops and have not for over a year and a half. In fact we have never even used an organic hop from Europe. We source all of our organic hops from Pat Leavy's Oregon Hop House. We named our seasonal offering after him to show that we are strongly committed to domestic organic hop prduction. We are also looking into the final variety to add to our portfolio to be brewing with 100% organic hops before any passed petition requires us to do so. The whole idea of brewing organicly is to support sustainable agrculture, strenghten the organic farming community, deliver a superb product, and feel socially and environmentally responsible in the process. Please consider that sense of social responsiblity before posting unfounded facts about the industry in the future. Cheers!

Mike Gerhart
              Brewmaster
              Otter Creek Brewing Company
              Wolaver's Organic Ales

Comment

Brewers may not care about 'Organic' labelling so much, but some consumers do.

While I will endeavour to do some research on Organic definitions vis-s-vis hops (as I honestly don't know) I have found, as many others have also, the USDA definition of 'Organic' for various foodstuffs to be somewhat of a joke. Standards seem to regularly shift to favour the producers.

"Big Organic" like any sort of industrially intensive agriculture, is not particularly environmentally friendly. Especially when that lettuce is coming to me on the eastern edge of North America (Newfoundland) from somewhere in California.

Is organic better? What a huge question. I don't know. What I do know is that the acronym GRAS (generally regarded as safe) and the ever growing list of virtually untested chemicals on the GRAS list scares the living s*#t out of me. I also think it will prove to be a very misleading acronym as time moves forward.

My strategy is to avoid foods with ingredients on the labels that my Granny wouldna' ken. As for pesticide residues, antibiotics, grwoth hormones etc. I'd prefer none, zip, zero. Not the original chemicals or any of their metabolites.

I recognize that not everyone can afford to be so choosy. I also recognize that in a world with an ever growing population, we will need to take advantage of all the agricultural/aquacultural technologies available to us if are going to keep feeding ourselves.

I do question the logic of pursuing a food chain heavily fuelled by petrochemicals (pesticides, fertilizers, transportation etc.) and largely owned/controlled by a handful of multinationals.

That's just me.

Pax.

Liam
                Liam McKenna
                www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

We were able to sell all our hops by being from Colorado or being local or by a sustainable hop yard. Having a history and all the relics!

You can't do much about being from Colorado and we so benefit from the proximity to so many breweries that are interested in local. But you have to find your label what makes you special.

We would love to be organic but right now we are selling and loving what we do without the label.....

Comment

Originally posted by OCBBrewer
                    Matthendry.

Please check your facts before posting to this or other public forums. Wolaver's Organics do not use any imported hops and have not for over a year and a half. In fact we have never even used an organic hop from Europe. We source all of our organic hops from Pat Leavy's Oregon Hop House. We named our seasonal offering after him to show that we are strongly committed to domestic organic hop prduction. We are also looking into the final variety to add to our portfolio to be brewing with 100% organic hops before any passed petition requires us to do so. The whole idea of brewing organicly is to support sustainable agrculture, strenghten the organic farming community, deliver a superb product, and feel socially and environmentally responsible in the process. Please consider that sense of social responsiblity before posting unfounded facts about the industry in the future. Cheers!

Mike Gerhart
                    Brewmaster
                    Otter Creek Brewing Company
                    Wolaver's Organic Ales
                    Sorry Mike I stand corrected , but its well known that Wolavers and other Organic brewers where bringing in organic Hops from overseas for a long time or not using them at all and maybe your marketing needs to reflect that Wolavers only uses domestically grown organic hops now .

With the Locavoare movement growing and the efforts of the UVM extention team who are Growing Hops and Lacey Barley in Vermont as well as rice, corn ect organically and also some intrepid farmers it would be nice to see a true local beer from Wolavers or any of the other Vermont Brewers and with Valley Malt in Hadley Mass opening their facility later this year maybe Vermont Brewers can source their ingredients closer to the brewery in coming years ,
                    Last edited by matthendry; 05-28-2010, 05:57 AM. Reason: Added links

Comment

Working...
                    X