Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aldahydes

What does any know about aldahydes?
    My beer after being stored filtered seems to have a papery flavour, but its not oxidation or old ingreidents, the beer is carbonated & under pressure. I looked up the flavour profile it has & found that aldahydes produce this flavour.
    Does anyone know anything?
    I know they can be produced in fermentation & can occure in to warmer conditioning temps, but what about filtered beer?
    How would it effect the shelf life of the final product especially if it is pasturised?
    MIKE S

Well from what I can see, Aldehydes aren't really responsible for 'papery' characteristics in a beer: Aldehydes, sorry about the crappy MIDI, the controls are at the bottom of the page.
    As far as I know, 'papery' tastes/aromas are from oxidation of wort --- although you state that it's not oxidation, I can't specifically nail the blame for that flavor on Aldehydes.

--Rob
    Last edited by RobZamites; 05-17-2004, 03:52 AM.
    "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

Aldehydes are a result of oxidation, not just of the wort, but tends to be due to excess oxygen in presence of low levels of yeast (possibly due to oxygenation late in the fermentation when there is insufficient yeast activity to mop up the oxygen rapidly and completely), or due to bacterial contamination (some yeasts tend also to produce aldehydes) The description is often described as being that of bruised apples, or sometimes "grassy" - i.e new cut grass.

Papery or cardboardy flavours tend to be produced when filtered beer is oxidised. This is exacerbated by pasteurisation, though I guess this will not apply in your case.

The mere fact that the beer has been carbonated does not ensure the beer is free of oxygen, particularly after packaging.

Basically, after the end of fermentation, the potential for oxygen pickup needs to be minimised, flushing lines and tanks with CO2 nitrogen / water as appropriate. Don't forget that if you carbonate beer with bought in CO2 it must be food grade AND oxygen free.

Pasteurisation will not eliminate off flavours, often making them worse, or permitting rapid chemical reactions to give other off flavours.

Hope this helps

Dick
      dick

Comment

Working...
      X