Cold Liquor Tank VS Dedicated glycol loop & HEX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Liquor Tank VS Dedicated glycol loop & HEX

Currently I have a CLT which I use into a two stage heat exchanger for knockout. The other side being glycol. I would like to eliminate the glycol from this heat exchanger so that the chiller and reservoir don't take such a big hit and the fermenters & bright tanks stay unaffected. I'd also like to free up some floor space so big CLT's don't sound too appealing. If I buy big tanks I want to put beer in them. :-)

Has anyone had success using a dedicated glycol chiller, reservoir and HEX to cool ambient water from the tap before it hits the HEX to cool the wort?

Key things to know is how big is your brewhouse? How many batches per day are you doing? and what is the HP of your chiller?

I am considering something like this but want to know that people are having success with it.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by kramling; 06-04-2010, 07:41 AM. Reason: Update

Considering Similar

I'm pretty sure this is not an answer... I may just be sounding out my own idea on the subject.

I am considering installing a dedicated, small heat exchanger into my glycol loop which will be used for chilling ambient / municipal H2O on its way into the brewhouse exchanger.

My logic is that cooling water with an exchanger on its way into the KO exchanger will be more efficient than doing it in a tank - and also not shock the system by mixing hot wort and glycol.

But I'm on a small system.
    Brewer X
    Owner / Brewer
    Somewhere in CA

Comment

Working...
    X