Pressure guage set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure guage set up

Im getting set to replace all my old pressure guages on my serving tanks and am considering putting a stainless ball valve in between the tank and guage so I can isolate it during CIP. So I got to thinking that this would require me to take the guage off every CIP in order to make sure the area behind the valve gets CIP'd. Probably not absolutely neccesary but I'd rather be safe than sorry. This would also require attaching some sort of fitting to move chemical through the port. Now Im thinking whats the point of the valve if I'm taking the guage off anyway. I am also considering a simple quick connect so I can pop the guage right off and pop on the cip fitting. What have you guys done that saves the guage and still gets it all clean. Im leaning towards the quick connect unless I can think of a relevant problem with it.
    Big Willey
    "You are what you is." FZ

I use stainless bourdon-tube pressure gauges. Usually made of phosphor bronze, most pressure gauges will drift over time, showing higher pressures than really exist. This due to the tube being attacked by acid in CIP schedule. As far as getting CIP solution inside the fitting, mount the gauge as close to the CIP line as possible. 2 diameters is about the limit of good CIP cleaning on a dead end. More than that and you'll have to figure out a way to get the area cleaned. That said, my CIP arm stays clean during fermentation by using Fermcap and appropriate fermenter freeboard. So I'm not too worried about pressure gauge threads in this location. Even if there is a bug in the threads, the CIP pipe sees only CO2 and CIP. I'm wary about the use of a pressure gauge isolation valve on the principle that it complicates things and makes more breeding grounds. Another nice feature to look for in a pressure gauge is glycerin filled dials. This keeps the needle from jumping all over hell when CIPing. Might make the gauge last a bit longer. Just make sure to rotate the little plastic valve on the top of the case to equalize pressure inside the case with atmospheric. And then rotate back to keep the glycerin inside.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Newlands makes a removable gauge/valve assambly that you can remove for cip. It has pressure gauge and a ball valve with quick connect for gas hookup and 1.5" tc connection to clamp to your butterfly valve on the tank.
      I reacently asked what they cost and was quoted about 90$ each. Good price when you add up the cost of the parts to make it.
      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
      "Your results may vary"

Comment

Working...
      X