Flowers in Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowers in Beer

Planning on brewing a Saison with edible flowers and was wondering safety issues when boiling and also when using dry flowers in FV. Anyone able to determine average usage i.e. pounds versus ounces. Boil times and contact in FV?
    Thank you.
    David Wollner
    Brewer/Owner
    Willimantic Brewing Company
    967 Main St.
    Willimantic, CT.06226
    860-423-6777
    www.willibrew.com
    david.wollner@willibrew.com

Depends on the flowers. Whatcha thinking?

Comment

Southampton Cuvee de Flueres is one of my favorite beers and I am aware of some of the flowers they use. Lavender, rose buds, calendula, chamomile, sage, dandelions, etc, along some of those lines.
      David Wollner
      Brewer/Owner
      967 Main St.
      Willimantic, CT.06226
      860-423-6777
      www.willibrew.com

Comment

Flowers in Saison

I have used flowers in beers before with great results. I have found the best way regardless of what flower you want is to use it in a hopback application as opposed to in the kettle. I think you could extract some unwanted tannins with a prolonged boil in the kettle. I assume you are just looking for the aromatics and light flavor characters of the plants. Chamomile works well in a Belgian Saison/Grisette style. Just my two cents.

Michael Uhrich
        Carter's Brewing
        Billings, Montana

Comment

Not sure if you mean safe to drink? If safe to eat, I would assume safe to add to wort.
          I agree with Michael that it would be a waste to boil most any flower. Certainly alpha acids would not need to be extracted not isomerized. I have heard some of the best aromatics come from dry-flowering vs. hot usage. Maybe compare some hot and cold extracts in water or water/vodka?

Comment

Lilac....So much aroma.

Comment

Can you eat Lilacs?

Comment

Dave, I've used Heather,Chamomile and Lavender in the past during the boil with success. I've also dry flowered with Chamomile in firkins....little can go a long way.

The one thing that I would be concerned with in adding them to the fermenter would be if they contained any active fungus that might impede fermentation. Unless of course you mean to add them post fermentation then like dry hopping I wouldn't see much of an issue as you're a brewpub and everything will be kept cold and served on premise. You could always try making a tea and blasting it in after fermentation, that way you don't have the issue of flowery bits in your FV.

Let me know if you brew this, I'll come up and try it and bring you my wares.

Cheers,
                Cheers,
                Mike Roy
                Brewmaster
                Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
                5123 Baltimore Ave
                Hyattsville,MD 20781
                301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
                @franklinsbrwry
                facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

try Brian at Stillwater, he's into all this...
                  Founder of London Brewers' Alliance | European Craft Sales Manager for SimplyHops.com | BrewWharf 2009/11 | Writes CAMRA's Homebrew Column | Opened Breakwater Brew Co | Get me @phillowry

Comment

Originally posted by jjs
                    Can you eat Lilacs?
                    Im not sure. A quick internet search shows that lilacs are not considered poisonous. Though I did notice one plant with lilac in the name (which I guess makes it a lilac) did come up as poisonous. I know a herbal professional Im going to ask her.

Comment

Jasmine and elderflower are good choices that haven't been mentioned, Avatar being the classic jasmine example.

Comment

Flowers Infusion

The beer is now on tap and it came out quite nicely. Used a combination of Chamomile, Calendula, Rosebuds, Hibiscus, and lavender in a hop bag for the last 10 minutes of the boil. Good floral aroma but not perfumey, mild taste from hibiscus and nice coloring too. Thanks for the input everyone.
                        Last edited by dwollner; 07-14-2010, 04:12 PM.
                        David Wollner
                        Brewer/Owner
                        967 Main St.
                        Willimantic, CT.06226
                        860-423-6777
                        www.willibrew.com

Comment

Originally posted by dwollner
                          The beer is now on tap and it came out quite nicely. Used a combination of Chamomile, Calendula, Rosebuds, Hibiscus, and lilacs in a hop bag for the last 10 minutes of the boil. Good floral aroma but not perfumey, mild taste from hibiscus and nice coloring too. Thanks for the input everyone.
                          Sounds Yummy!
                          That herbal professional let me know that lilacs are safe.
                          Im excited to try some flower additions! dwollner where did you source your flowers?

Comment

Penderys.com was my source, pretty reasonable for 1lb bags around $9-$15.
                            They also sell herbs, salsas, etc.
                            David Wollner
                            Brewer/Owner
                            967 Main St.
                            Willimantic, CT.06226
                            860-423-6777
                            www.willibrew.com

Comment

we have made a beer using elderflowers for the past couple years. they just get chucked in to soak after the boil.

i'm happy i haven't been the one who has to go hand picking them in countryside hedgerows though.
                              GeorgeJ
                              Head Brewer - TDM 1874 Brewery.
                              Yokohama, Japan.

Comment

Working...
                              X