Direct Fire Kettle help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct Fire Kettle help

We are looking at a 225 gallon stainless mix tank used (getting a great deal on the thing) as a BK. We are looking at direct fire so we are a little concerned with some potential issues associate with getting by codes. We plan on building a fire brick base and then set the kettle on top. We also plan on adding a vent pipe to vent gasses. Is there anything else we need to consider? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by millerag; 06-23-2010, 04:40 AM.
    Cheers!
    -Alan

Alan,

Get with an engineer to figure out the required diameter and length of your vent pipe in relation to your burner BTU's. Have him/her put it in writing.
    We made the mistake of believing the gas company knew what they were doing and ended up having to replace the vent pipe with larger diameter and much longer riser after the county inspector checked the requirements.
    They may also question you about the total cubic feet of the brewery. There is a minimum ratio to be gas-fired worthy. Again, get the info from an engineer, in writing, before the code inspectors start asking questions.
    Direct fire beats the crap out of having to deal with a boiler.
    To me, it's a little more "authentic". Something that seems to be slipping away in the craft brewing industry.

Comment

Erff. My inspectors wanted to see the UL listing for my kettle. Of course there was no such thing. I was able to use a letter from another tank fab company saying how they would want it installed if they had made it. It was not an easy sell.
      An engineer is what you will need if the inspector is concerned. Good luck!

Comment

Less Stringent

Thanks for the responses..... We haven't picked up the mix tank/or even seen it in person. I am hoping there is a manufacture specs tag on the tank. I am hoping that the inspections are a little less stringent and we will not need an engineer.
        Cheers!
        -Alan

Comment

I believe it is the de Clerck book that has a nice section on fire box design; and Thausing's book has a large section on fire box design, but it is mostly for burning solid fuel!
          Last edited by Moonlight; 06-25-2010, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X