Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experiences with Mid-America/Rahr Malts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiences with Mid-America/Rahr Malts?

I was just looking of the price sheets/specs for the various maltings offered at Mid-America -- their 'house' malt is significantly cheaper than Briess/Crisp, etc. I was just wondering if anyone has used these malts and has any feedback on them.
    I would prefer to use Briess/Crisp/Weyerman/Cargill for my malts, but wonder if the savings per bag (8 to 9 cents) is worth being the Guinea Pig for this unknown malt brand....
    Thanks for the feedback.

Rob Zamites
    "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Having never used their malt, all I can say is, "why not try a batch?" Depending on the size of your batch, what's the worst that could happen? Ask for a spec sheet and compare - maybe ya gotta adjust a bit for what you normally use. Experiment...

BeerBoy

Comment

I have used Mid-America's malt with good result; yield and flavor were good. Primarily I use Cargill Special Pale as my base malt, the Mid-America Pale was not quite as "rich". I would reccomend a trial as well, they are good people.
      Cheers & I'm out!
      David R. Pierce
      NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
      POB 343
      New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

We use alot of Rahr pale malt throughout the year at our brewery and have found the malt from Rahr to be superior malt. The lab analysis is very comprehensive and the customer service has been excellent. Check them out!!
        Mike Jordan
        Brewmaster
        Boxing Cat Brewery
        Shanghai, P.R. China
        michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I'll give Rahr a shot -- it will keep the startup costs down, and that's a huge help, especially if I get a good result.

--Rob
          "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

Working...
          X