Rubber chimes coming off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber chimes coming off

I have been offered a few used rubber chimed half-barrels and according to the owner of the kegs, on some of the kegs both the rubber foot and the rubber chime/grip are coming off (I assume due to being stored outside). Can these be reset with some sort of adhesive? Any recommondations?

Silicone

The only glue I have had any luck with on rubber keg chimes is an industrial grade silicone adhesive.

It doesn't last forever though! Heat is the worst enemy of most of the adhesives I have tried.
    I have since purged our brewery of all of the foul smelling uncooperative rubber chime kegs.

Comment

I've used a Dow product called 5200 Marine Sealant. It's silicone based. Works awesome on boats. But it lasted less than a year on repaired kegs--wouldn't recommend it. Also used something called Marine-Tex--works well, but it's bloody expensive. I'm now using a two-pack epoxy system called PC7 by Protective Coatings Company. Just put a dozen repaired kegs back into float. Seems like good stuff. Time will tell.....
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

You could try "Amazing GOOP" adhesive.

Comment

I've been having good luck with clear silicone caulk and I've also had good luck with PL400-construction adhesive.

Prost!
          Dave
          Glacier Brewing Company
          406-883-2595
          info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Thanks for the tips - one other question: did you use these adhesives on the top chime or the bottom rubber piece?

Comment

We just used some Gorilla Glue to fix the chimes on a few of our ex-German 50's. Strapped it tight and let it dry overnight. Seemed to work ok so far, but we had one where the handle part had almost completely separated and it's only worked so-so. Anyone else have a recommendation?
              Russell Everett
              Co-Founder / Head Brewer
              Bainbridge Island Brewing
              Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

I have tried various adhesives with success but a short lifespan as some have stated. I've got a couple that I am going to try JB Welding some short bolts to the bottom and drilling corresponding holes in the chimes and bolting them on. Anyone ever try this?

Tim Brophy
                Marshall Brewing
                Tulsa

Comment

Yeah I've been thinking about doing some metal straps and Bondo to kinda anchor them in place. Little worried about screws and bolts, people aren't expecting metal edges there, you know? Also I worry about anchoring it just a little too far, down where it needs to be, near the steel shell... *pop*
                  Russell Everett
                  Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                  Bainbridge Island Brewing
                  Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

3M makes a spray on adhesive called Super 77 that works great. Just make sure you clean the keg, chime and rough up the surface a bit before bonding so it'll hold.

Comment

I've been using a contact cement with reasonable success (it has yet to fail after 24 months). It's called Ardex WA98 Butynol Adhesive.
                      Regards,
                      Chris Mills

Kereru Brewing Company
                      http://kererubrewing.co.nz

Comment

Working...
                      X