Fruit Flavors and Tainted Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit Flavors and Tainted Tanks

need to do a fruit beer. i'm adding a natural fruit flavoring (not whole, real fruit) to the serving tank. just want to cabonate in the tank and rack out into kegs (no serving through draft lines).

besides the seals of the kegs possibly taking on the flavor do i have to worry much about the serving tank. the flavoring will be in there for maybe 36 hrs. then racked out and cip'ed.

will i need to change gaskets or is the short time gonna be ok?

I've done several different fruit beers: aseptic purees, whole fruits, artificial flavors. NONE have left a flavor-stain on the equipment (providing you're following brewhouse cleaning procedures). Also, I make a root beer soda, in the same tanks as I make my beers,with a very intense root beer flavoring with NO flavor stain. Sani the tank with hot liquor, brewhouse chems, procedure, etc. Trust your procedures!

Prost!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

One of our most popular beers is a half-wheat ale flavored with a fruit extract. We have had it in the same tanks as any of our other beers, and have never noticed any flavors or smells carrying over. Just make sure to clean well in between uses.

Comment

Originally posted by GlacierBrewing
        I've done several different fruit beers: aseptic purees, whole fruits, artificial flavors. NONE have left a flavor-stain on the equipment (providing you're following brewhouse cleaning procedures). Also, I make a root beer soda, in the same tanks as I make my beers,with a very intense root beer flavoring with NO flavor stain. Sani the tank with hot liquor, brewhouse chems, procedure, etc. Trust your procedures!

Prost!
        Dave
        Ditto except root beer. I may be spoiled since I have a dedicated rb server.
        Cheers!
        David R. Pierce

Comment

i've always heard root beer flavors are the worst and you will burn in hell if they touch your beer tanks and/or hoses. its pretty interesting to see its doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.

so after i rack out all the fruit beer into kegs i should just follow my cip procedures of rinse, caustic wash 2%, rinse, sanitize and i should be fine?

would peracetic acid or iodophor have an advantage over the other in this instance?

Comment

Working...
          X