Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McMaster Carr Pre Chiller

Dear Forum,

Does anyone have advice on purchasing a brazed plate heat exchanger for a water pre-chiller? Like the one below.
    McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

I have a 10bbl brewhouse and did not want to purchase a cold liquor tank. I was going to hook it up to my glycol unit to cool my warm Florida water before it goes into my wort heat exchanger.

What size unit should I purchase based on my flow rate?

How do I calculate the load that it would create for my Glycol Chiller?

Cheers,

Ben
    Ben Davis
    Intuition Ale Works
    Jacksonville Florida
    www.intuitionaleworks.com

I'm actually looking into doing the same thing.

First, get the specs on your wort heat exchanger and calculate the temperature and flowrate of cooling water you will need to achieve your resulting wort temp.

Then work backwards and calculate the glycol temp and flowrate needed to cool the wort chiller water.

Once you have the temp and flowrate of the glycol, you can find the load on the system.

I'll let you know what I find. I just started working on this design for a 3bbl system I'm designing.
    Chris Enegren
    www.enegrenbrewing.com

Comment

We sell stainless steel copper brazed flat plate heat exchangers of many lengths, widths and plate sizes. These units can be used for SVO conversions, boiler applications, beer wort chilling, air conditioners, refrigeration applications & any other application which requires heat transfer between two different fluids without mixing them. Our units are corrosion resistant and have high efficiency in heat transfer. We can analyze your application and size a heat exchanger to best suit your needs.

Check out this site. It's geared towards biodiesel, but they sell heat exchangers just like the one you're looking at from McMacter.

Fill in the form and they will recommend one for your specific application.
      Chris Enegren
      www.enegrenbrewing.com

Comment

We have the same problem with our ground water at Battlefield. Instead of pre-chilling the water, we have installed a second chiller that we run glycol through to chill the wort directly. We have a 3 BBL system, and our "second stage" is a Blichmann Engineering homebrew chiller. It helps, but even with both systems running, in Summer our wort goes into the fermenter at ~76*F.
        In the Fall through Spring it is great.
        -Lyle C. Brown
        Brewer
        Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

I use the same method on my 15 bbl system. After determining the correct size, search for it on ebay before buying. They can be had for pennies on the McMaster-Carr dollar.
          Cheers!
          David R. Pierce

Comment

If you are interested in used, I have 2 in great shape that we took off a ss insulated glycol holding tank we now use as a cold liquor tank.

If the link does not work, they are:

They are Flatplate model CH71/12P10
            Copper Brazed
            20"x5"
            Appear to have 38 plates

Asking $450 each plus shipping from Strongsville, Ohio 44136. We could easily pack and ship FEDEX or UPS
            Last edited by brewkettle; 08-17-2010, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X