Multi-use chiller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-use chiller

Does anyone have any suggestions for running my unitank cellar and my cold room from the same chiller unit. its a teeny brewpub system, 3.5bbl UNI x 4 plus an 80sqft walk in for my bbts. i was wondering if i can save some money in capital costs and operating costs by having a larger chiller to serve both...

any suggestions?
    ________
    Gm family 0 engine history
    Last edited by india_cmb; 03-05-2011, 12:40 AM.

Multi-use

Try Pro Refrigeration at prochiller.com.
    James Ray
    Railyard Brewing Co.
    Montgomery, AL

Comment

We use one chiller to run all refrigeration in the brewery: unitanks, serving tanks, bright tank, cold room, and draft lines. You can definitely save money (both in capital and operating costs) as compared to multiple units. The one drawback is if your system goes down, it all goes down!

Comment

You can definitely see some saving with this approach, here are some bullets I just sent to a customer that is considering for his brewery:

• Simplified Installation. Glycol Heat Exchangers are controlled the same way as Fermenters, using a solenoid valve that opens when room temperature increases and closes when room reaches desired temperature. Most of the brewery equipment manufacturers can add an extra temperature control to your main control panel for the cold room, or you can operate with a dedicated thermostat at the cold room.
        • Eliminates Refrigerant Lines inside your plant. All of your refrigerant lines are centralized within the chiller system, reducing service issues, total refrigerant charge, and installation costs.
        • Maintain cold Room within 8 F of Glycol operating Temperature. Most customers require a cold room temperature of 40 F, with a standard brewery glycol operating temperature in the 25-28 F, this is an ideal application.
        • Eliminate defrost clocks and reduce risk of iced up coils. We size the Glycol Heat Exchangers with a larger surface area than standard refrigerant coils, so we can operate at a tighter Temperature Difference (glycol temperature to room air temperature). This allows our coil temperature to be higher and greatly reduces icing and the need for scheduled defrost cycles.
        • Chiller System can be shared for Fermenter/Brewery Load and Cold Room. Dual refrigeration circuit systems are suggested if our customers are using a single chiller system skid for both Brewery Cooling and Cold Room cooling to provide safety in redundancy.
        • Glycol Heat Exchangers will remove moisture from the air as it cools, but because the TD is tighter, not as much moisture as standard direct expansion systems is removed. I’ve read about breweries that were concerned there could be condensation issues but haven’t had any such issues with the 20+ projects we have worked with.
        • There is not an efficiency gain using Glycol, at the very best it is a wash between a direct expansion refrigeration system.

What was once a rare request is quickly becoming almost a standard on new projects. We've even had non-breweries considering a central glycol system for multiple Cold Rooms for saved installation and reduced service and maintenance costs.

Feel free to contact me via private message or email for more information, I hope this information is helpful. I have a recent customer I can put you in touch with with a similar set up to what you are describing.

Best Regards,

Jim VanderGiessen
        jimvgjr@prorefrigeration.com

Comment

Working...
        X