Trouble w/ Harborlite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble w/ Harborlite

Has anyone ever had trouble clearing beers w/ Harborlite vs Perlite? Our supplier just switched from Perlite to Harborlite and life was good with Perlite. After the switch, the next filter run left a terrible haze that never fell out. Second time we doubled up the dose and it seemed to get a little better, but it still seems as though we just fined it vs. a filter.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had ever had any trouble w/ Harborlite before I start white-gloving our filter. It seems like we may be getting some blow-by of filter medium, but it never dropped out. That, coupled with the problem appearing as soon as the switch happened, makes me want to look at the filter medium before the filter.

Thanks for the help!
    --
    Brandon Overstreet
    President, Co-Founder
    Swing Tree Brewing Company
    300 E. Hersey St. #7
    Ashland OR, 97520
    c. 541-591-8584
    boverstreet at swingtreebrewing.com
    www.SwingTreeBrewing.com

Yes, we've had problems too recently. We have another supplier that still carries the Sil-Kleer. We blended just a portion (~20%) of the Sil-Kleer with the Harborlite and didn't have an issue. I plan to do my best to avoid Harborlite after we blend through this bag. BTW, when our supplier first switched to it about a year ago, we didn't have this issue. It just started recently.

Cheers,

Travis
    Travis Hixon
    Blackstone Brewing Co.
    Nashville, TN
    travis@blackstonebrewery.com

Comment

I had the same issue, and I can guess who your supplier is. For us, they just started shipping us the Harborlite without any notice of the switch (grr...)

We found that the Harborlite didn't work nearly as well and blinded the filter at least once besides. Another supplier still sells the 23-S Silkleer perlite I love so much (and the 27M) so we buy a pallet or two from them once in a while.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Not the only folks I've heard having trouble either. Going to try one more filter run, mainly to deplete the remaining stock, but also to see if we can clear it up by increasing the dosing rate.

Thanks again for the help.
        --
        Brandon Overstreet
        President, Co-Founder
        Swing Tree Brewing Company
        300 E. Hersey St. #7
        Ashland OR, 97520
        c. 541-591-8584
        boverstreet at swingtreebrewing.com
        www.SwingTreeBrewing.com

Comment

Working...