Spunding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spunding

I have heard about the mysterious barbi kruhner valves of germany and have been trying to find one or even some info on one, but am coming up empty handed. Can anyone help? I would like to try spunding our beers to save some of the excess CO2 produced, and produce one of those creamy delicate beers i have heard of.
    Nicholas Campbell

hi,

i haven't actually heard of the term "spunding". is that essentially what (depending on the brewery) is called "locking up" or "bunging" a fermenter when it has reached a certain gravity. if this is the case, there is a number of tank constant head pressure regulators on the market (ie. scandibrew from denmark). hmmm, let me know.

cheers,

alex

Comment

Nick,

Give JVNW (800 331 JVNW) a call about the Kuhner valves. They have had them in stock in the past for about $250. Be warned though, the Kuhner valve can't be CIP'd whereas some of the more expensive bunging valves manufactured overseas can.

Cheers,

Brandon Greenwood
      Nodding Head Brewing Co.

Comment

I always thought it was "spundig", but call it what you like.

You can also try Handtmann for tank trim, but again they are expensive. Drinktec used to be a source, but I don't find them on the web. http://www.handtmann.de/english/hand...ppe/index.html

If you have the time to monitor your tanks you can achieve the same effect by manual bunging or closing gas vents/cip lines.

Remember that this works on tanks rated for higher pressures (eg 30psig) but not for all fermentation and aging temps.

Comment

Do a search on Barby-Kuhner valves in this forum. I posted three for sale with complete rebuild kits included. I still have them...
          Cheers & I'm out!
          David R. Pierce
          NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
          POB 343
          New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

I bought a kolonnen spundungsgerät from Barby Kühner in Germany supporting four lagering tanks. It is a plastic chamber with a pressure gauge and a pressure valve that are adustable between 0,4 and 1,0 bar. Hoses from the chamber are connected to the CIP arm, I welded a gas connection (Cornelius) on the CIP arm so it is easy to disconnect during CIP, the price for the kolonnen spunder was about 220 Euro.

Comment

Working...
            X