Advice on use of combined vessels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on use of combined vessels

I am soon to start using a new brewing system,that has a combined mash/copper,and a separate lauter tun.it also utilizes hop pellets and a whirlpool. I am used to the traditional British style brew house with separate vessels and the use of whole hops.
    I would very much appreciate any advice that can be offered,especially regarding grain to liquor ratios for pumping( will I still be able to mash and pump at say,2.2 lit/kg?) how much more efficiency should I allow for when using hop pellets? and any tips in general when using this type of continental system. Many thanks.

I haven't finished my coffee so I'm not doing the conversion , but i found that when working on a mash-transfer system your standard thick British mash, at 1qt/pnd will not pump. You can mash in at that rate but will have to dilute to pump over- which is what i did for ales. For light ales and lagers i mashed in at 1/3qt/pnd. and that pumped fine. If you are adventurous, this kind of system is great for step mash or even decoctions...

Below is a standard efficiency for pellets Ive taken from brewing Lit. Note Ive never had the resources to test this, or the $$ to send multiple samples out.

Dry Hop, Whirlpool, 0.03
    Aroma, End Boil, 0.05
    Taste, -15, 0.15
    Flavor, -30, 0.25
    Bittering, -60, 0.33
    First Wort, 0.33

If you like whole hops consider using a hop bag in the boil for aroma hops or adding a hop-back to the system. If you have never used pellets for dry-hopping in the fermentor, give it a try after primary, 4-5 days, at 1/2pnd per bbl-- great aroma! (Most funnel them in though the prv port.)
    Last edited by Ted Briggs; 08-24-2010, 07:53 AM.
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

Comment

I work on a similar system to what you describe. My thickest mash is my stout which is 1.05bbl liquor to 100 lbs grist. Pump has no problem with this. I could probably go thicker from the pumping perspective still but mash mixer would be my concern.

Pax.

Liam
      Liam McKenna
      www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Thank you gentlemen,that is most help full .I think that I will try at first to add a quantity of sparge temperature liquor to the mash at the end,before pumping.
        would you recommend under letting the lauter before the pump over?
        I must admit I am relishing the thought of playing with step mashes.

Comment

Underlet to cover the lauter plates before transfer. This is after pre-heating the lauter tun prior to transfer.

Pax.

Liam
          Liam McKenna
          www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
          X