• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pump size

Trying to figure correct pump size

How many GPM for a 7 bbl fermenter?

We have a 5ton with a 2hp pump
    6 7bbl and 1 14 bbl fermenters..about 30 ft head...can't seem to get the pressure lower than 12..when pump cycles pressure raises to 20psi thn drops back to 12..13 psi
    fridge guy says pump is oversized
    Ken Landin
    Crossroads Brewing Company,Inc
    21 Second Street
    Athens,NY 12015
    518-947-9443
    www.crossroadsbrewingco.com

more info please...
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

ok what in particular
      Ken Landin
      21 Second Street
      Athens,NY 12015
      518-947-9443

Comment

Originally posted by fatheads
        Trying to figure correct pump size

How many GPM for a 7 bbl fermenter?

We have a 5ton with a 2hp pump
        6 7bbl and 1 14 bbl fermenters..about 30 ft head...can't seem to get the pressure lower than 12..when pump cycles pressure raises to 20psi thn drops back to 12..13 psi
        fridge guy says pump is oversized
        Do you mean the pressure increases when the solenoid opens or is the circulation pump wired to the temp. control? If you have a closed loop the pump should run 24/7. Wire a VFD to the pump and dial it down to suitable pressure. Should be cheaper than replacing the pump. I have run 6 - 15, 2 - 7, and one 30 bbl unitank with a half horse pump, but all tanks were on grade.
        Last edited by HinduKush; 08-24-2010, 08:21 AM.
        Cheers!
        David R. Pierce

Comment

Pump

Dry to call some pump supplier; but have the following info ready to give them:

• The products you pump
          • Product viscosity
          • Product temperature
          • Desired flow rate
          • In-line devises you may have, such as heat exchanger, or fittings that cause resistance to the flow.
          There are some terms used with pumps, let me explain them in short.
          TOTAL DYNAMIC HEAD (TDH), is the vertical distance between your pump discharge and the highest point in the discharge pipes plus friction head, minus the positive head.
          POSITIVE SUCTION HEAD is the vertical distance between the pump inlet and the level of the product supplied to the pump
          Length of your hoses to and from pump, and the diameter.
          Also, watch the seal in your pump, as it will be affected by temperature.
          If your pump is exposed to all the elements in the Brewery; Beer, CIP caustic, 2.5 % and 160*F, I recommend you get so called EPDM or PTFE seals.
          As Linus said in his post, please provide more info and we can get you an example calculation.
          Cheers
          Fred

Comment

We got about 60 ft of 1 1/2 pvc that reduces to 3/4 flex hose after the solenoids which adds about another 30 ft in flex hose.
            head is 30 ft
            6/7bbl and 1 /14 bbl fermenters
            fridge guy says 2 hp is way to big..we need more like a 1/3 hp to maintain 8/10psi
            what other info should I supply

Thanks
            Ken Landin
            21 Second Street
            Athens,NY 12015
            518-947-9443

Comment

2 HP does seem oversized, does this pump also circulate glycol through your chiller evaporator, or is there a dedicated pump for this.

I suspect the reason the pump is so large, they are using a single pump for dual purpose (1. circulate to the brewery and 2. circulate through your chiller evaporator). Reducing the flow throw the chiller evaporator could cause a completely new set of problems.

If it is a dedicated pump for the brewery loop (60' 1.5" pipe with 7 EA jacketed vessels)- I'd probably suggest a 3/4 HP, or maybe 1/2 HP, a 1/3 HP seems very small. As a quick rule of them, I'd estimate 5-10 GPM per vessel, 70 GPM would be maximum flow and use 45 GPM for an average flow (maximum flow X 60%).

Another option you can use if the 2 HP is shared and circulates through the evaporator; adding a pressure bypass valve at the end of the SUPPLY header that automatically bypasses into the RETURN Header if pressure exceeds a setpoint (15 PSIG). You will still be running a bigger pump than is required, this will however protect tank jackets from overpressure. This link to an older probrewer post has an option from McMaster Carr http://www.probrewer.com/vbulletin/s...ressure+bypass

Good Luck,

Jim
              Pro Refrigeration Inc.

Comment

pump

HI

I would recommend:

HP 1.5
                VOLTS 208 230/460
                AMPS 4.9 - 4.6/ 2.3
                RPM 3450
                HZ 60
                PH 3

Cheers

Comment

majority seems to be the pump is oversized and to install a vfd
                  yes..no?
                  cheers!
                  Ken Landin
                  21 Second Street
                  Athens,NY 12015
                  518-947-9443

Comment

Working...
                  X