Glycol Used for Heat Exchange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycol Used for Heat Exchange?

Hey Guys and Gals. My Company is in the process of moving to a new location. We would like to use the glycol line in line to cool our wort down on way to fermenters. I understand this can effect the temps of your fermenting beer. Any advice?

Originally posted by pioneerbeer
    Hey Guys and Gals. My Company is in the process of moving to a new location. We would like to use the glycol line in line to cool our wort down on way to fermenters. I understand this can effect the temps of your fermenting beer. Any advice?
    Hiya Pioneer,
    as I understand it: you want to wrap a glycol line around your knock-out line on the way to the FV to cool the wort? The only way I could think this would affect your temps is if you're stealing cooling capacity from your FV cooling jackets due to lack of excess cooling capacity in your glycol system. The heat exchanger I have can be plumbed to cool with cold liquor and glycol. I've never needed the glycol side.

Prost!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Many breweries we work with will use glycol to assist, (taking the last 10-15 F from wort) especially during the warmer times of year when the city water temperatures increase. You are absolutely correct about taxing a system, this load can be substantial and can easily overload the chiller system.

A quick formula to calculate the cooling load for Wort cooling is:
      Flow Rate in GPM X Temperature Drop X 500 = required BTU/HR cooling capacity

Example on a 10 Bbl system:

Transferring in 30 minutes = 11 GPM
      Temperature Drop= 10 F (cooling from 80 F to 70 F)
      estimated chiller capacity required: 55,000 BTU/HR

This would require a 7.5 HP Chiller System. Most understand that during the time Wort is transferred they will need to dedicate all available capacity for this purpose.

Hope this helps.

Jim
      Pro Refrigeration Inc.

Comment

I dont use my glycol assist often but im making a fest this week and wow:
        (260gl/45)x20x500=57,770!
        Guess Ill get in the habit of turning off cooling to fermentors when I use it!
        Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
        tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
        "Your results may vary"

Comment

Working...
        X