Self distribution in ILL.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self distribution in ILL.

Does anyone know if, in ILL, can a person hold a brewers liscense and a distributors liscense? Allowing them to self distribute.

Originally posted by Root64
    Does anyone know if, in ILL, can a person hold a brewers liscense and a distributors liscense? Allowing them to self distribute.
    Yes, according to the Brewers Association which links to and quotes the law as:

"ARTICLE V. LICENSES Class 3. In state brewers may make sales and deliveries of beer to importing distributors, distributors, and to non licensees, and to retailers provided the brewer obtains an importing distributor's license or distributor's license in accordance with the provisions of this Act."

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I found that post minutes after I posted.

Comment

There has been a highly publicized issue on this in Illinois in the last half year or so. If you are contemplating self-distribution in the state, you should so some serious due-diligence before starting.

A court ruling just came down last week that appears to suggest that in-state brewers will no longer be able to self-distribute.

Comment

Yes, we have till the end of march to change the law.
          Many are working on it already.
          It will be a challenge to get it done by the end of March.

Chuck Stuhrenberg
          Big Muddy Brewing

Comment

It's absolutely amazing how big breweries have no problem crushing others as long as they benefit from it. This comes as a pretty big blow to anybody (like myself) who is planning on opening a small brewery/nanobrewery in Illinois. Worst case scenario is that small breweries will have to go the route of Two Brothers and create a completely separate Distribution Company. It's a lot more of a headache, but it can still be done.

Chuck, keep up the good fight. I'm pulling for you.

Cheers,

Jared Kueker
            Kaskaskia Brewing Company (future)
            Kaskaskia Brewing Company

Comment

I just contacted the Illinois liqour control last week about this same question. They said the law just changed thanks to an InBev court decision which had nothing to do with craft brewers and in a few months self-distro will be illegal in the state of illinois.

Comment

That should be current as of 2011.

Comment

Pretty sure brewpubs can't

I remember when this all went on, breweries in Illinois were still given the ability to self distribute (although this total amount was limited) but brewpubs were not allowed to. If you are going to apply as a brewpub, you also must fill out this form here which takes away the ability to self distribute: http://www.state.il.us/lcc/DOCS/SpecialtyRetail.pdf

I am about 99% sure that a brewpub doesn't allow you to self distribute but you may want to check with the state of Illinois. We just submitted our Illinois paperwork this week but the only thing I was unsure of was if we needed to also submit a distribution license application. It didn't say we need to so we didn't fill it out but they may come back and tell us we need to.

Cheers,

Comment

Brewpubs can't self distribute in Illinois currently. Not sure about breweries with tap rooms though.

For small breweries that want to self distribute, you do not need a distributors license, just the Craft Brewers License. We applied for our state license and the craft brewers license simultaneously and received both at the same time.

One thing to note is that after you submit for the craft brewers license there is a mandatory 45 day waiting time before it can be issued. Not sure why, maybe so distributors can try to get you to sign on??? Not sure, but applying for both helped us a lot since it took so long to get the state license to go through.
                    Beejay
                    Pipeworks Brewing Company

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Beejay. We submitted both the manufacturer and the craft brewing license so hopefully it only takes the 45 days. We struggled with what to put on the registration form where it asked for the wholesaler but hopefully we filled it out right. Other than that, the forms seemed pretty straightforward. I think the self distribution is based off your TTB filing type so I would think a brewery with tasting room would still qualify but definitely worth checking with Illinois. If I can get ahold of them, I'll ask because we want to add a tasting room by early summer.

Thanks again for the info Beejay. Next time I come through Chicago I'd love to swing through to see your setup.

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
                      X