PDA

View Full Version : Rollers for Valley Mill

lquale
09-27-2010, 06:33 PM
I have a Valley Mill from Canada that works very well, but the 2 rollers need to be reknurled. This is a diamond pattern on the 8 inch long rollers which have a 1.25 inch diameter and .5 inch bore. Can anyone help me here? Would also consider having the rollers manufactured and replacing the original ones.

I.D. Rinks
10-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Give Heavy Duty Products a call- Cambridge, ON Canad, they might be able to help you.

liammckenna
10-04-2010, 09:16 AM
I second HDP (http://www.hdpcanada.com/).

Liam

beerme
10-18-2010, 06:11 AM
take them to your local machine shop (or high school) and ask them if they can make them.

They are a simple part and just require a lathe and knurling tool to make.

If it works out have him make 2, i had a valley mill and lent it out to someone and never got it back. it is a great mill.

doug

gitchegumee
10-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Don't know about Valley mills specifically, but most brewery purpose-built mills feature much larger rolls (8-10" diameter) that are manufactured from white chilled iron. This stuff is damn near bulletproof. Harder than hell. A lathe won't really do it. Chatter marks and dull tools is about all you'll get from it. Need an OD grinder to even touch it. Then again, white chilled iron wouldn't have knurls that wear off, either. Another approach is to upgrade to a larger mill; I bought one used not too long ago for $1500 that is purpose built for breweries. Good luck!

beerme
10-19-2010, 07:45 AM
I was a friend of randy kaye in ottawa, and through bitching about the mills available at the time (schmidling and phills mill) kinda talked him into creating the valley mill. (ottawa valley to be exact) He took the ideas from a pasta maker for making a cam adjustable roller gap and talked his dad, a retired machinist into making them. They used delrin plastic for the ends which also served as a bearing. I can't remember what material the rolls were made of, but they figured the heat from knurling would work harden the rolls. It sounds like they used 1/2" pipe with a 3/8 thick wall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_hardening

all this was at least 15 years ago... designing a product in your basement it is hard to predict this far into the future how it will last.