Hefe Milkshakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hefe Milkshakes

We are having a problem with our hefe in the serving tanks throwing a lot of yeast sediment creating the super nutritious hefe milk shakes, but is a huge waste.
    We currently cap ( 10 psi ) off the fermentation at the sign of it slowing down by watching the blow off bucket. It then goes through maturation, and we drop the temp 4 degrees F a day untill 32 degrees. We pull off as much yeast from the cone as we feel fit and then pump the hefe over to the serving tanks unfiltered. Average settling time is 3 days and then it is served (about 2.1 - 2.2 volumes).
    We are using Whitelabs 300 for 5 fermentations, then starting with an new culture.
    Any ideas on how to decrease the milkshake?
    Nicholas Campbell

use kegs.... if possible.
    Davo Geiser
    Assistant Brewer
    Otto's Pub & Brewery
    State College, PA USA

Comment

If possible, give yourself more time to settle out the yeast in your fermenter before transferring it to your serving tanks.

Being that this is a low floculating yeast though, getting a the majority of the yeast out of suspension is always going to be a problem.

My suggestion is to do a drastic crash down to 32F over a 24 hour period after fementation is complete. This should hopefully speed up floculation and allow you to draw off more of the yeast.

If you are pressed for time, you can partially filter the beer (ie the first 75%) when you transfer it to the serving tank.

Comment

I have always used kegs for my Hefe, stored upside down to keep tht yeast in suspension. I crash mine to 52 for 24 hrs then to 34 for maturation. This has worked great for the last 10 years. I did once put it in a serving vessal and it clearded up in couple weeks and lost all flavor. Hope this helps

CHEERS
        The Pig

Comment

Hefe

I reccomend:
          =Your temp profile suites lagers, but I would crash it from fermentation temp to 33/34 f overnight.
          =filter the first 50% of your "unfiltered" beer @ 7-5 micron. This will still let enough yeast though. The top 1/2 of the tank will be "less chunky"
          =You are not complaining about clearing in tank, but dont use kettle or fermenter finings.
          =Switch to another yeast and/or give more settling time- 3-4 weeks.
          =keep pulling yeast off FV! The worst thing in Weizzens is a bite from dead yeast.
          Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
          tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
          "Your results may vary"

Comment

I think the other posts are very helpful, but I'm wondering if you're using a stand pipe in your serving vessel. If not perhaps you should consider using one. I also wonder if you have recorded any data of cell counts at different stages of conditioning. A big advantage of unfiltered beer is that you shouldn't have to age it very long to promote flocculation if you're using the proper low floc. yeast. You also may want to consider reducing your yeast generation limit to a maximum of 2 and be very careful when bottom cropping your yeast for future pitching. Best of luck!!
            Mike Jordan
            Brewmaster
            Boxing Cat Brewery
            Shanghai, P.R. China
            michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

Working...
            X