Humulus lupulus var. neomexicana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humulus lupulus var. neomexicana

Here's a little update on the native and wild hops development.
    Stan at Appellation Beer wrote this about a local monastery that is growing the hops we've been developing.
    As life has it,,,the Humulus lupulus var. neomexicana hops liked their farm better than our farm.

Finally,,,native American hops are being shown to make great brews! The lies are beginning to end as the disinformation train jumps the track.

Here we go,,,it begins. And new flavors for all!

I would love to hear about the flavours and aromas you are getting from these hops. Please post results!

Comment

Each plant is different.
      In general, citrus flavors are the signature flavors.

Orange, kumquat, lemon, tangerine, peach, pineapple, spice, earthy, floral, and rich are words that describe the flavors of these hops. No scudge/glue flavors.

Developing these hops organically from seed has left us(thanks to grasshopper decimation) with plants that are high in limonene, linalool, and other citrus compounds that inhibit predation by insects. These are the plants that didn't get eaten!

Comment

Awesome!

Still looking to get some of your rhizomes to put in a small area next to our 5th year Cascades and 2nd year Centennials, Wildcrafter! Shall we trade rhizomes or do I need to send beer? We had 40 folks turn out to my brewery at a meeting the other morning to form a hop cooperative in my area. A lot of serious orchard/nursery people interested in getting into it who didn't just have gold dust in their eyes. Love to prop your hops, man! Let's talk before spring. (We plant new rhizomes around March.)

Taylor

Comment

Sounds good, Taylor. Talk to you sooner than later.

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by wildcrafter
            Developing these hops organically from seed has left us(thanks to grasshopper decimation) with plants that are high in limonene, linalool, and other citrus compounds that inhibit predation by insects. These are the plants that didn't get eaten!
            Sounds like Darwinism is alive and well. These sound very tasty - any commercial versions out there with these hops?

Comment

NMSU trials of H.L. var. neomexicana

Native hops are being researched at New Mexico State University. 7 years of "in situ" native hop research and 10 years of native hop development so far,and it continues. It's all about the "Who Cares?".

Dang,,,this takes a long time!

Cloning time!

Less than 7 years ago,,,few people ever even knew there was such a thing as a Native North American hop. Get the word out!

"Jobs for plants, plants for jobs"
              Todd

Comment

Working...
              X