tainted line. help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tainted line. help!

Ive looked through the forum but didnt see anything related to this particular flavor/problem. Cinamon. Ive run weird beers and fruit beers and belgians, etc. I have a method that tends to get rid of any residuals. But I just did a spiced beer that had a yeast with a lot of acedylaldehyde so I added cinamon and nutmeg to the tank and made a decnt harvest beer. I did my typical procedure, 1 day each of overnight soaking first with BRU-R-EZ then with ACID BRIGHT #2, followed by hot and cold rinse. My next beer is a pilsner andI can still detect hints of cinamon. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Myabe dioxy-chloride? If so, how much to ad?
    "Uncle" Frank
    Frank Fermino
    Brewer I, Redhook, Portsmouth, NH
    Writer, Yankee Brew News, New England
    Wise-ass, Everywhere, Always

Frank I think you're missing the big picture here, think about it.... Cinnamon Pils...you'd be a revolutionary!

Or you could try some caustic, do you have a line pump or simply a cleaning can?
    Cheers,
    Mike Roy
    Brewmaster
    Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
    5123 Baltimore Ave
    Hyattsville,MD 20781
    301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
    @franklinsbrwry
    facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

Second vote for caustic! Run a bunch through at proper temp, then let it sit packed in line for a while. Rinse thoroughly and sanitize.
      Hutch Kugeman
      Head Brewer
      Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
      Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Caustic 2.5%, Acid 1.5%, San 0.8%

jamie

Comment

You might need to turn off the glycol chiller to keep hot caustic (or whatever heated liquid) hot long enough.

Comment

I use hot caustic followed with a hot rinse and then Purisan on tainted lines. Works well.

Comment

caustic vs. bru-r-ez

Im may be wrong in my assumption, but I thought BRU-R-EZ was a caustic in powder form. I use it for all my cleaning situations like kegs and stuff. Rookie error?
              "Uncle" Frank
              Frank Fermino

Comment

Originally posted by BMXFRANK
                Im may be wrong in my assumption, but I thought BRU-R-EZ was a caustic in powder form. I use it for all my cleaning situations like kegs and stuff. Rookie error?
                No error. BRU-R-EZ is the original non-caustic cleaner and is used in place of caustic. I have used BRU-R-EZ since its release in the mid-90's. I use it for all cleaning except kegs. If Birko came out with a liquid non-caustic cleaner I would use that on my keg machine.
                Cheers!
                David R. Pierce

Comment

Powder vs. caustic

Originally posted by HinduKush
                  No error. BRU-R-EZ is the original non-caustic cleaner and is used in place of caustic. I have used BRU-R-EZ since its release in the mid-90's. I use it for all cleaning except kegs. If Birko came out with a liquid non-caustic cleaner I would use that on my keg machine.
                  While Bru-R-Eez can be used in lieu of caustic on many applications, it is not caustic. It is a non-caustic alkaline cleaner, thus much safer to handle for those of us tired of caustic burns on our fingers. Sometimes, though, you just need some good old caustic to really clean those difficult areas.

Comment

Originally posted by BMXFRANK
                    Ive looked through the forum but didnt see anything related to this particular flavor/problem. Cinamon. Ive run weird beers and fruit beers and belgians, etc. I have a method that tends to get rid of any residuals. But I just did a spiced beer that had a yeast with a lot of acedylaldehyde so I added cinamon and nutmeg to the tank and made a decnt harvest beer. I did my typical procedure, 1 day each of overnight soaking first with BRU-R-EZ then with ACID BRIGHT #2, followed by hot and cold rinse. My next beer is a pilsner andI can still detect hints of cinamon. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Myabe dioxy-chloride? If so, how much to ad?

Hiya' BMX,
                    Are we talking a tap line or a brewer's hose?
                    Tap line.....replace it! Nice, fresh hose. Nothin' better! (wait, that came out ALL wrong!!!)
                    If you're talking a brewer's hose, well, they can be kinda' pricey to replace so I'd try running a VERY hot PBW for 30 minutes followed by acid 5 (hot) for 15 minutes and end with......wait for it.........warm StarSan. Contact FiveStarChemicals.com for supplies. This has always worked well for me.

(DISCLAIMER: I have NEVER even considered using cinnamon in my beer! Way to push the envelope, BMX!)

prost!
                    dave
                    Glacier Brewing Company
                    406-883-2595
                    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

thanks and lets see what happens

Thanks for the feedback. These are tap lines, however they are not accessable. They run from the serving tanks under the floor with no false floor or trap door, going to the taps at the bar.Im going to go with the national Chem suggestions but I also need something fast. I need to pull this beer for a comp. May consider filling growlers from the swickle valve. I have also head a heavy mix of Birko dioxy-chlor and phosphoric acid running hot for 30 minutes should work, but sounds like pushing the edge of danger. I kinda like it! As for cinnamon pils, maybe once the snow comes but for now I'll skip it. The Harvest Ale was an attempt to make a beer go away. Crazy part is people liked it and have asked when I'll make it again. UGH!! Why cant they just like simple English Milds and drink with me?!?
                      "Uncle" Frank
                      Frank Fermino

Comment

We are trying a new product from Charlie T's new company. Not sure of the name of the chem, but he claims it will remove root beer flavor from lines. Used it last year after a razy wheat did a great job. New company is called Dancing Bear. Don't know the website or contact info off-hand, but have a card at the brewery. Send a PM if you want the info.
                        --
                        Brandon Overstreet
                        President, Co-Founder
                        Swing Tree Brewing Company
                        300 E. Hersey St. #7
                        Ashland OR, 97520
                        c. 541-591-8584
                        boverstreet at swingtreebrewing.com
                        www.SwingTreeBrewing.com

Comment

Working...
                        X